Teaching 2 different grade levels to a 3yr. old and 5 yr.old
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mandy in TN

Thread: Teaching 2 different grade levels to a 3yr. old and 5 yr.old

Amber Cross is offline Member

Default Teaching 2 different grade levels to a 3yr. old and 5 yr.old

How do you keep a 3yr.old entertained while helping your 5yr.old with time4learning? The 3yr. old is on pre k level but does not seem to want to do it same time with her sister for very long. Because she seems to want my attention because I am trying to pay attention more to the 5yr. old. How do you balance it all out. Sorry just started a month ago.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Some people work with the older child while the younger one naps. You could also have coloring sheets and things like that for your younger one while you work with the older one. Worse case you could try some educational videos for the younger one while the older one works. Leap Frog has some great ones for learning letters, numbers, and things like that. Try working 15 minutes with one and then 15 minutes with the other. At their ages they really don't need a lot of sit down school time.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Amber Cross is offline Member

Yes I have tried that. They seem they both need my attention at the same time. When we do workbooks together is better. Just trying to see how it all works and what they need.

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Cross View Post
    How do you keep a 3yr.old entertained while helping your 5yr.old with time4learning? The 3yr. old is on pre k level but does not seem to want to do it same time with her sister for very long. Because she seems to want my attention because I am trying to pay attention more to the 5yr. old. How do you balance it all out. Sorry just started a month ago.
    This is age appropriate behavior. Of course, keep offering other options, but be aware that this is mostly just what 3yo's do. Eventually, she will mature and probably move past being so demanding. Only if she becomes worse and it becomes an obvious jealousy issue with inappropriate behaviors directed at her sibling would I be concerned.

Mandy
    Amber Cross likes this.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I totally agree Mandy. Patience is the only thing for now.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota