Teaching Guides and other help needed please :)
    KMConners3 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Teaching Guides and other help needed please :)

Hello to all- thanks in advance for helping! My 3rd grade daughter just recently started T4L. I am in dire need of navigation assistance on this website. I keep seeing "Teaching Guides" mentioned as an option, but cannot find any such teaching guides and I just keep going around in circles back to Lesson Plans (which in my opinion are not lesson plans, but just a list of the information covered in the online lessons). Also, I see the list of science materials but no information on the science experiments themselves (will they be mentioned in the interactive lessons?)? I am looking for ways to plan out better what the lessons we are actually doing and more hands on ideas....am I just looking in the wrong place? I am also surprised at the lack of worksheets available for third grade curriculum. Thank you so much for any advice/direction/HELP!

Krista
    near Orlando, FL

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Krista, Welcome to Time4Learning. We have been using this great curriculum for over five years now. My son loves it.

I have to be honest, I don't know what the Teaching Guides are either. I will find out for you and get back to you on that one. Are you looking at the actual Lesson Plans or the overview of the lesson plans? The actual Lesson Plans tell what is discussed in each individual lesson. This is a big help if you want to skip some lessons that your child has already covered or if you want to get extra material from the library on a particular subject. Just click on the subject and grade to bring up the lesson plans for that subject for the year. You are right that there are not a lot of worksheets. Schools use worksheets a lot to keep everyone busy. To me, that's all they are, busy work. If your child needs more reinforcement in a particular lesson you can just do the lesson over again. I find that the interactive lessons help the child understand more than doing a worksheet would. If you need to keep one child occupied while you help another child, worksheets can be used. Or if you need to hand in a portfolio of written work, the worksheets are good there as well. We personally don't do any of the worksheets that are provided.

The science experiments will be included with the regular lessons. The materials list is just to give you a heads up on what you will need in case you have to buy something.

You can use the Activity Planner to plan out your schedule. You can find it near the bottom of the Parent's Administration page.

I would suggest that you head on over to the Florida Parent Forum. They will be able to offer more support in areas that are particular to your state and your state laws.

Again, welcome to Time4Learning and the Parent Forums.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Blog Entries

Okay Krista, go to the Parent Admin page and log in. Then pull up the lesson plans. The teaching guides can be found in the column with the little apple icon. I hope this helps. Here is what I was told about them. "In the lower grades, there are some teaching guides. They are ideas for extra, go-along activities for some of the assignments. They also include some worksheets and the kindergarten readers in printable form."

DianaBanana is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Krista,
    I hope this site helps a bit: https://diy.org/skills It provides ideas for a possible hands on curriculum with links to videos, how-to's, and inspiration for kids to learn about a topic by making something relevant to a skill. Best of luck!

Blog Entries

Thanks for the link Diane. I bookmarked it so I can look at it more for my son.