Teaching Multiplication Tables
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mandy in TN

Thread: Teaching Multiplication Tables

adria2328 is offline Senior Member

Default Teaching Multiplication Tables

Sooo when and how do I begin this?? My son has just completed the multiplication lessons Level 2. Should I begin to have him memorize them now? Should he move onto division before we memorize them??? HELP!
    Adria
    Mommy of 4
    Bryanna 13
    Ralphy 7
    Coleman 5
    GraceAnn 3

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I don't know how much help I can be with this one. My son refuses to have anything to do with multiplication. He says it is "worthless and he will never need to use it as long as he lives". Those are his exact words. We got through the work in third grade because I printed off a chart and let him use it to find the answers. He also used the chart in reverse to do division. He understands how to find the answers but he wants no part of memorizing anything.

I think if your son is receptive you could start working on them now. Start with the easy ones, 1's, 2's, 5's and 10's. Have you learned the trick about the 9's? I'm not sure how easy I can explain it. It's easier to show someone in person. Hold up ten fingers facing you. You put down one finger as the marker. Everything left of the marker is in the tens column. Everything to the right of the marker is in the ones column. So if you put down your left thumb, there is nothing to the left of it and nine fingers to the right of it. 1 (the thumb) times 9 equals 9 (the nine fingers.) if you put down the first finger of the left hand you have one finger (the thumb) to the left of it and 8 fingers to the right of it. 2 (the second finger) times9 equals 18. It keeps going this way all across the fingers until you end up with the thumb on the right hand down. 9 fingers are to the left of the thumb and nothing to the right of it. 10 times 9 equals 90.

Let us know what you decide to do.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by adria2328 View Post
    Sooo when and how do I begin this?? My son has just completed the multiplication lessons Level 2. Should I begin to have him memorize them now? Should he move onto division before we memorize them??? HELP!
    Good questions, but the answers should say something about you and your son.

oops, typed it below.
    Last edited by Mandy in TN; 03-25-2012 at 11:41 AM.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Good questions, but the answers should say something about you and your son.

I had a conversation this week about multiplication with a group of homeschool moms. One has a mother who is a retired classroom teacher and we got her on the phone as well. She firmly believes that children should be taught skip counting. She said that counting by other numbers is not only a step toward multiplication it is also the basis for learning other number systems.

OTOH, in my years teaching at Kumon I can't tell you the number of parents who have told me that their children know their numbers to 100 when in reality the kids can say number words. The kids do not understand one-to-one correspondence .... is four. Also, although they may be able to count to 100 and can say forty-two, they don't connect that word to 42 or forty-two beads.

This method of teaching arithmetic through words without understanding extends to teaching multiplication through skip counting. It makes me lo-lo. Sure, pull out a 100s chart and have a child count up by 2s while coloring in the multiples of two. Write this as 2+2=4, 2+2+2=6, .... Teach them the 2+2+2=6 can be written in a shorter form 2x3=6. (Two repeated three times is six.) But do not let skip counting or repeated addition become a crutch. Once they understand the concept of multiplication, work on the facts. If they continue using skip counting or repeated addition as a crutch, give them a multiplication chart and much larger numbers. After looking up the answers, they should eventually remember the facts. Some kids can't reproduce this in a speed drill, but you can see them do it in their daily work.

HTH-
    Mandy
    Last edited by Mandy in TN; 03-25-2012 at 12:43 PM.
    flyinglow likes this.
    ds Doodlebug 11yo

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Quote Originally Posted by fairylover View Post
    I don't know how much help I can be with this one. My son refuses to have anything to do with multiplication. He says it is "worthless and he will never need to use it as long as he lives". Those are his exact words. We got through the work in third grade because I printed off a chart and let him use it to find the answers. He also used the chart in reverse to do division. He understands how to find the answers but he wants no part of memorizing anything.
    Has he worked on area? This video is fabulous. It will show him how he will be applying multiplication in everyday life. On the suggestion of another homeschooler, I read through her stuff the other day and about cried. I hope to one day be that inspirational as a math teacher.
    HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

adria2328 is offline Senior Member

Thank you ladies!! He does show interest (he's 8) But not as much interest as my 6yeard old! I am going to let them play Times Attack to see what they can pick up. The 8yr old understands the concept after doing the T4L lessons with array's. I guess it's a question that has many different answers. My DD14 has never learned them. She does have Math learning disabilities so I just let her use a calculator. It's an entirely different world with kids that actually want to learn them!! I'll start with the easy one's and see how it goes. They both hate to write so I am thinking I'll just go through them with them everyday until they can repeat them back within 5 seconds.
    Adria
    Mommy of 4
    Bryanna 13
    Ralphy 7
    Coleman 5
    GraceAnn 3

Blog Entries

Times Attack is go. So is Times Tales. They have a book as well as a video. You can also play som math games on LearningGamesForKids.com. We also have used a Kumon workbook to help reinforce some of the learning.

Mandy, he has helped his dad figure out the area of a room so we could find out how many tiles to buy for it. But he still says it's not important.

Syele is offline Member

My daughter LOVES Timez Attack I would think the boys would eat it up even more. They even have a free version.

Blog Entries

I agree, it's great for boys.