Thinking of homeschooling BUT....
    NC_mom_2_4 is offline Junior Member

Default Thinking of homeschooling BUT....

I want to homeschool my 9 and 11 year olds next year so we have been "test running T4L". We all love it but I have a big concern and Im hoping someone here can help me.

Im terrible with math and my daughter who is in 5th grade this year struggles with fractions. She has done the work here but it has me thinking....what would I do if something comes up that she doesnt understand here and I can't explain to her????

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

That's a tough one. I have that problem with science. I hate, Hate, HATE it. Fortunately for us, dad is a scientist so it works out. I'm sure you could find another parent in your area who will be able to help you with math. There are also some great online resources such as Learning Games For Kids and Khan Academy that could help you. In the very worst case you could hire a tutor. But I think you could find help without going that far. Maybe you could try Life With Fred Fractions. I know you can get it through Amazon.com. Do you have a high school student in your area who might help out? Stop over at the North Carolina Parent Forum and see who is in your area. That's a great place to ask questions.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

That is a legitimate question. What would you do?

It sounds like you have your children come directly to you when they have a problem and have placed yourself on an omniscient pedestal from which you are fearful of falling. First, make it clear to your children that you don't know everything. Learn to say, "That is a good question. Let's see if we can find the answer." After this, model for them how to go about doing just that.

I second Khan Academy for researching how to work through math. There are also homework hotlines. When you reach a point where you are totally lost, hopefully they will be at a point where they can help you and research will become a joint effort. With math beyond Alg1 and geometry, I hire a tutor. I know other families who use Chalkdust math because you can call them if you need help. I think the same is true of Teaching Textbooks.

If math is the subject that has you the most worried, then go ahead and begin researching your options.
    HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Blog Entries

I think everyone has one subject that terrifies them. Science is definitely mine.

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

I don't know that I would say that I am terrified, but Alg2, all math beyond this, science that involves math beyond Alg2, and foriegn languages are the subjects that I do not feel comfortable teaching. For the most part, I outsource these subjects. This has worked for us, but I know families that have worked together to learn new material without outsourcing.

Even before they reach these subjects, I try to approach their education as a lifestyle or a journey where we learn together rather than a situation where I know everything and mete out knowledge. I am pretty clear with them that there are lots of things that I don't know, but that I will be glad to help them so that we can find the answers together. If we can't find the answers, let's find someone who can help. I have learned so much not just about subject matter but about life and had such fun schooling my boys!

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Blog Entries

I agree Mandy. I think one of the best things we can tell our children is, "I don't know. Let's find out together."

-danielle- is offline Junior Member

Homeschooling is not about knowing everything and then starting to teach (nobody knows everything). It is about teaching your children what they need to know at a certain point in time. In some cases you may learn along with your child (as I do with my oldest, we study Greek and Latin together) or you may look into something you never got before, or simply forgot, and then explain it to your children. As long as you are just 1 step ahead, you should be fine I have asked other people to explain something to me or I gather information online in the past to prepare for explaining something. We have also searched for answers together. My oldest is now doing 8th grade and until know we never had to give up on anything.

Blog Entries

That is so true Danielle. None of us would be able to homeschool if we had to know everything before we started.