Time?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Time?

Irondale is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Time?

Okay, so we started this T4L on 10/18 of this year and I have a question. Kinda.
    I have 3 kids two who are grade school 2nd and K who use this as their primary source of education. I also have 2 yr old. It doesnt take them long at all. I make them do all the "stars" in each section (Math, LA) We only do 2 stars a day with the LA ext and flip/flop SS and science every other day.
    We dont do any other outside activities as of yet. We go to a park homeschool group on Thur afternoons but thats really it. It only takes my 2nd grader about 2 hrs to do his work (8-10) and 1 hr for my K. SO, unless they do horribly on a section and I make them go back and redo it, thats it.
    My second grader HATES to write sometimes even the little Resource papers are too much for him even though they have 10X less the amount or work from our previous curriculum (Abeka).
    So, anyway I guess my question is should we be spending longer on things? Does T4L go back over things and re-introduce things incase kids forget? The "lessons" seem short and there deosnt seem to be any review of anything from the past as of yet. All I know really is Abeka and they CONSTANTLY go back over over over things to ingrain it in the child.
    Any thoughts?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

A Beka uses what is called a spiral review. This means that, in addition to what is being studied at the moment, the child will do a teeny bit of previously-learned material almost every day. At least one of my children found this overwhelming. Many students need to focus all of their attention on one concept at a time.

Time4Learning does a great job reviewing and expanding, year-to-year. It is a program based on mastery, such as Alpha-Omega Lifepacs and other popular "print" homeschool curricula. The student is introduced to a concept, allowed to practice it, and demonstrates mastery at their current level. The following school year (or sometimes a few months later), a more advanced version of the same concept will be taught.

For instance, once a child has demonstrated mastery of one-digit addition, the next step will be learning two-digit addition. There is no need to constantly review one-digit addition alone, as that skill is also involved in adding two-digit numbers. Likewise, when a student has learned the phonics sound for a letter, he continues to "practice" that sound by reading more advanced passages . . . not by continuing to drill the single sound.

Some students do need more drill and will benefit by using a curriculum specifically designed for supplemental drill, such as Calculadders, http://www.bigmathtime.com/ , or even phonics flashcards.

Home schooling generally takes far less time per day than public or private school. Students don't have to wait for others in their class or take time out for assemblies and so forth. The amount of time your children are spending on Time4Learning appears typical at their current grade levels.

Popular additions to Time4Learning's core curriculum include penmanship, daily journaling, music or art lessons, and a daily read-aloud time (either the child reading aloud to a parent or the parent reading to the children). Add in field trips and maybe a sports activity as your children get older. For right now, I would consider active play in the park with your homeschool group a great alternative to P.E.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

I thought of something else. At the rate we are going now, my 2nd grader will finish math in Feb sometime. However the LA/LAext will take a bit longer. Once he finishes the math will he go straight into 3rd grade math and continue with 2nd grade LA/LAext?

Thanks!

Sonja Philip is offline Junior Member Newbie

that is completely up to you!! T4L allows you to do that if you want to - which is one of the things I personally love about the program. But if you want to spend that time covering something else, you have that option as well.

that's one of the best things about homeschooling!
    sonja

"Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."

Blog Entries

When he finishes one level in a subject, the program will automatically advance him to the next level in that subject. That won't affect his grade level in other subjects.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

I was looking on how to advance a grade level for my kids per subject. I understood how to do that but then it said that if I wanted to do it permanently I would need to contace T4L. So what is the difference in me doing it and calling to have it permanitized?

Thanks!

Blog Entries

If, for example, your child is "permanently" in grade two in a certain subject, the system will always bring him to the grade two lessons when he accesses that subject. You will be able to access the grade one and grade three lessons by manually changing it each time.

If you were to request a permanent change to grade level one, then the system would automatically bring him to the grade one lessons when he accessed that subject, but you would have manual access to the kindergarten and second grade lessons.

OK...so for instance my 2nd grader will be done with SS, science, LA mid Nov, early Dec) so when that time comes he can be permanently switched to 3rd grade in those subjects but stay in 2nd grade math till he is done in Feb then have that permanently upgraded when he is done?

Also..for my K son. Now lets say he tries a first grade science and does it. Later on when he get put in first grade permanently with science (or whatever subject done) will it show that its already been done?

Blog Entries

"Yes" to both questions.

georgiamom is offline Junior Member Newbie

If you are looking for more to do in a day and increase the education your children are receiving, I have found the website www.edhelper.com as a great addition. There is a yearly fee to use the extra features, but I feel it is really worth it, especially if you are hsing more than one child. When you want the children to learn about something, for instance, Veterans Day, you can pick the grade level of which your child is in including K for most subjects. However, be prepared, you will have to print the worksheets out. My 9 y/o really likes to do this "extra" stuff!!! Amazing!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast