Time4Learning as a stand-alone curriculum
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Time4Learning as a stand-alone curriculum

rlbenson is offline Junior Member

Default Time4Learning as a stand-alone curriculum

Is anyone using this as a stand-alone curriculum. We are currently using this as a supplement. The problem: it doesn't easily correlate to our current lesson plans. So it's a random lesson when they log-in. (Which is ok.)

I wanted to know if I can use this alone and drop the rest of our curriculum. Any thoughts?

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

We have used time4learning for five years now starting at preK. My son is now mostly in fourth grade. This is our main curriculum. We do go on lots and lots of field trips to places like environmental centers, the art museum, the science museum, and other historical sites. I also recently added a science program that has lots of videos because I hate science so much. I don't think it is necessary but it gives him that extra that I don't really want to deal with. I don't see any reason to have any additional curriculum at all.
    Tinka123 and Jessica Meck like this.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Mandy in TN is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rlbenson View Post
    Is anyone using this as a stand-alone curriculum. We are currently using this as a supplement. The problem: it doesn't easily correlate to our current lesson plans. So it's a random lesson when they log-in. (Which is ok.)

I wanted to know if I can use this alone and drop the rest of our curriculum. Any thoughts?
    I have not used T4L alone, because the lessons are so short. I have 180/ 4hr days of school to complete according to my umbrella school. Doing T4L seldom eats up an entire hour of that time and we only use it about 4x/ week. Even at this pace we will be finished with all the third grade material before we hit 180 days.

If ds spent more time, he would go through the grade levels more quickly. I have a few reasons that I don't want to do this. I want to give him time for the lesson to set in his mind and then be built upon in the next lesson. Rushing through the material and teaching to the quizzes typically will not lead to the long term retention that is my goal. I have no interest in grade skipping, so there is no point in covering the material more quickly even if I were certain that he would retain the material. Finally, I am pretty certain that for my ds sitting in front of a computer for multiple hours each day would not lead to a joy of learning.

Now, that being said you could expand and enrich the online lessons with offline activities- math enrichment (Life of Fred, Penrose the Mathematical Cat, Problem Solving in Middle School Mathematics), math drill (FlashMaster, Kumon workbooks), language arts extensions (Spelling City w/ the T4L lists, note booking about the grammar presented), language arts (be sure to read the recommended literature, add additional literature in the genre being covered), science (be sure to keep a notebook when suggested, do the science experiments, add more experiments, add library books on the topic, add brainPop videos on the topic, add other videos/ movies on the topic), social studies (same as science). With this approach T4L is spine while not moving too quickly allowing for retention and deeper understanding.

However, this isn't using T4L as a stand-alone. If you have time requirements and use T4L totally as a stand-alone with no other materials, your child may be moving quickly through grade levels without mastery and putting in hours without developing a love of learning. However, you know your children and your family situation and dropping everything except computer learning may be exactly what you need for this leg of your homeschooling journey.

HTH-
    Mandy
    ds Doodlebug 11yo
    currently homeschooling with an eclectic mess of stuff

homeschool graduates:
    ds Cashew 20yo
    ds Peanut 22yo

Blog Entries

Retention, different learning styles, seeing his friends, those are all reasons we do so many outside activities. It does fill up those hours. Don't forget physical education as well.
    lovehmschlg likes this.

chasingdreamsacademy is offline Junior Member

Default Science program using videos?

Quote Originally Posted by fairylover View Post
    We have used time4learning for five years now starting at preK. My son is now mostly in fourth grade. This is our main curriculum. We do go on lots and lots of field trips to places like environmental centers, the art museum, the science museum, and other historical sites. I also recently added a science program that has lots of videos because I hate science so much. I don't think it is necessary but it gives him that extra that I don't really want to deal with. I don't see any reason to have any additional curriculum at all.
    What science program are you using? My son doesn't learn by reading text books...he needs interactive programs!

Blog Entries

Supercharged science.

jlsims357 is offline Junior Member

Default T4L as a stand alone

Quote Originally Posted by rlbenson View Post

We started using T4L around Christmas last year and as of right now it is our main curriculum. That said I supliment it with more table work then just the printable worksheets that come with most of the leasons. We do a Bible verse every day (she is just in 1st grade) so its copy work starting our day with God, then its worksheets from T4L and then I add additional Math ones for more Adding and Subracting or Money/time. Just what she needs more work one and to help her memorize her math facts. We also go to the library 2 to 3 times a month and do the reading books that T4L recomends. We are also part of a co-op and do a bible study 1x a week. with this schedule we get about 3-5 hours of school in a day.

Blog Entries

Sounds like you have a pretty full schedule. Welcome to the forum.

journey00 is offline Member

I have a 7yr old, 8 yr old, and 12 yr old. The younger two use T4L as their main curriculum and we do many field trips, movies, discussions, and every day living because they are learning all the time. They also do handwriting from a book. Just about anything can be counted towards your state requirements (if you have any). My 12 yr old uses the Language Arts & the Science from T4L. For math she uses Teaching Textbooks, for writing she has used Time4Writing, for religion she uses regular books. She quilts, does digital photography, sings at church, plays soccer and basketball. She also reads many different books for her own pleasure. Different kids have different learning styles.

Hang in there, you can do this!! Give T4L a chance to work...at first it may not seem that it is working but I bet eventually you will hear "I learned it on Time4Learning!" That's what happened to me & we pretty much dropped everything else. Welcome to the forum!

Blog Entries

Hi Journey. Thanks for adding your encouragement. I'm sure we all remember how scary it was at first.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast