Toddler with Autism
    StephanieO is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Toddler with Autism

My son is only 2 and I will be homeschooling him. He has autism, so I would really like to know some advice on the best choices for curriculum would be for him for preschool use. Also, what are the steps involved with begining homeschooling leagally in maryland. I do not know anyone who homeschools and find very little information on how to start on the internet. It all seems so confusing to me. Homeschooling has not been recommended by therapists or doctors and I really need support.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

First let me welcome you to the wonderful world of homeschooling. It is a great adventure. You do not have to do anything to be in compliance with state laws until your child is five years old so you have a few years to figure it all out. My first recommendation is to connect with a local homeschool support group. There is nothing like talking to someone who has been there before you. I would also recommend that you check out two forums on here. The Maryland State Forum and the Special Needs Forum. They will both be a great help to you.

I think you will find that most therapists do not recommend homeschooling because they just don't understand it. They come from the one size fits all mold and really don't want to change. I have a friend who has been homeschooling her son who has autism since the beginning. He is now a happy 8th grader. I have seen him grow and progress so much over the years. He has gone from a shy little boy who never left his mother's side to a strong young man who interacts with the other kids very well. He also has apraxia so he can not verbalize anything. But he uses a machine to carry on a conversation. Other homeschooled children have welcomed him in to their circle. I remember one day at the park a group of public schooled kids were teasing and picking on him. The homeschoolers quickly formed a protective circle around him. My little boy stood in front of him and said, "This is my friend. He can't talk but he's my friend. Leave him alone." I was so proud of all of them that day.

As far as curriculum choices there are so many out there. I have used time4learning with my son since preK. He is not autistic but he has a very short attention span. I like that you can break the lessons up into small segments. We do one or two lessons and then do something physical for a few minutes. Then he is able to focus on a couple more lessons. Some children with autism do well in a very structured environment. So a more structured school day would be best for them. I'm sure once you start meeting other homeschoolers you will be able to figure out how your child learns best.

Welcome to the forums. Please ask any questions you might have either here or in one of the other forums. Mostly, enjoy your child.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

StephanieO is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks so much for your warm welcome and your reply! I will check those links out.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Stop back in if you have any questions. Or just to let us know how things are going.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota