Umbrella School

Thread: Umbrella School

kaidensrents is offline Junior Member

Default Umbrella School

Hi,

We used T4L for Kindergarten last year and are about to go into 1st grade with our son. There is still one thing that we're hung up on and that is on umbrella schools. Does T4L constitute an umbrella school as it does track attendance and student scores? Does anyone on here use another resource for this outside of T4L? I want to make sure that we are doing the right thing as parents in the event that something in life changes and our son has to attend public school at some point in the future. We have looked into HomeLife Academy and the academy on the Bob Jones University web site. The latter provides access to standardized testing where applicable along with sending actual report cards.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated. We have seen quite a few members on here who have been homeschooling for quite some time and being new, we are still somewhat uneasy about this.

Also, does anyone know of any groups in Marshall County?

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Time4Learning is not a school. It is a curriculum so it would not work as an umbrella school. They do keep excellant records for you. I print off the lesson plans at the beginning of the school year. Each day as my son does his work I mark his grade on the lesson plans. At the end of the school year I print out the record for each subject for the entire year. This gives me a record of his work and even his attendance. You can do this through the parent login. You can also do this by going to the little backpack on the main page. Just tell it the subject you want to print out and the time frame that you want it to cover.

It is normal to feel uneasy when you are getting started. Even some of us who have been doing this for years have times when we second guess ourselves. That's where a good homeschool support group is best. Come on over to the Mississippi Parent Forums. Just click on the drop down menu at the top of this page that says State Forums. Then click on Mississippi. That's one way to meet others in your area. This link has some information on local support groups in the state.

If you have more questions feel free to come back here or ask on the Mississippi Forum.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

kaidensrents is offline Junior Member

Thanks Kathi,

I know that T4L is a curriculum; what I meant was more from a legal standpoint with respect to grade reporting. Is it necessary in MS to enroll in an umbrella school for grade reporting? Is this something that we need to do or do we need to be reporting grades to the school board or something? The law is not very clear in this state and basically all that is required to homeschool is a piece of paper signed by the attendance officer. She really didn't even ask what we were teaching.

I want to know what is the best route for reporting so that in the event of a move to another state or entrance back into public school I will not have any issues. Would enrollment in an umbrella school be recommended as opposed to printing the reports in T4L and holding on to them?

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

You're right there are no laws in Mississippi concerning "Private Schools." As long as you return the Certificate of Enrollment by September 15 of each year you have met the requirements of the law. There is no procedure for reporting grades or progress at this time. Whether you want to enroll in an Umbrella School would be a matter of personal choice. Usually when a child returns to public school after attending a private school, the school will place the child in the grade level that the parent says they are in. If after a period of time it becomes apparent that the child is either behind or ahead of their classmates adjustments can be made to bring them to the appropriate grade level. Some schools will test the child to see where they think the child should be before enrolling them.

My personal opinion is that I would not want the bother or the expense of an Umbrella School. I keep accurate records of my son's progress so if he needs to go into a public school I will have documentation of what he has done. This is only my personal opinion. I am not an attorney.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota