Utilizing the LA reading list and lesson review
    JMF
    JMF is offline Junior Member

Default Utilizing the LA reading list and lesson review

Hello,

Can someone help me better understand how to utilize the LA reading list, I am a little lost on it. I also have 5 kids that I am using this program for, Pre-K - 6th grade, should I be reviewing each lesson in each subject that they will be working on for that day or just let them dive into it? I am not entirely sure how to do it, or how long it would take if I did it for all 5 of them. What does everyone else do to prepare when using T4L as the main curriculum?

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I only have one at home so it's a little different for me. I don't do anything to prepare ahead of time. My son does the lessons in order as they come up. With him, I have to sit close by to keep him focused. He has a very short attention span. If your older children are focused they should be able to do most of the work themselves. Of course you are there to answer questions and help when they get stuck. For the little ones you will probably want to stay closer by. But even a 4 year old can do some of the work by themself. My 11 year old probably sits down for less than two hours a day to do his work. When he was younger he only worked for 30 to 45 minutes a day. I try to let him work by himself. When he is finished I go to the backpack and check to see how he did that day. If he seems to have problems with a lesson I will have him do it again while I sit with him to see what the problem is. Usually by the time he does it the second time he understands it.

Everyone has their own way of doing things. My daughter sites her three around a table. They each have their own computer and headphones. The older ones do their own work and then she checks it over for them. She sits with her 6 year old while she does her work.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

JMF
    JMF is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the help! I just could see how time consuming it would be to go through each and every lesson for all 5 of them. LOL Do I need to worry about any books showing up in their assignments that I should have gotten ahead of time for them to read? It seemed like last year we had a book show up in one of the lessons and it threw me a little. Would these books be found in the reading list?

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I thought I answered this yesterday but now I don't see it. Most of the books that you will need will be on the reading list. Some of them can be difficult to find though. You can do the lesson without the book if you really can't find it. If you want to skim through the lessons for a week or two ahead to see what books will be coming up it will give you more time to look for them. We just went to the library as a book came up in the lessons. If it sounded like a book we would like to keep I would order it from Amazon after we read it from the library.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota