Where do I start?
    Kelly Poe is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question Where do I start?

My daughter is 2.5 years old. My husband and I have decided that homeschooling is the route that we want to take with her education. I have zero clue where to start this process. I am going to start "pre-school" with her this fall, just to get her used to having a structured day. What are all of the legalities that I need to take care of when it comes time to actually start school? And what resources have parents found most valuable with homeschooling? Where do I get the resources that we will need (texts, learning modules, etc.)?

Robin is offline Senior Member

I don't believe there are any "legalities" when it comes to teaching a 2 year old. Most learning is done while playing. I don't know of any states that require anything before the age of 5.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Kelly. Welcome to the Time4Learning Parent Forums. As Robin said, there are no state requirements any where for schooling a child under the age of five or six. In some states it is even seven. So a lot of the answers to your questions would be "It depends". Each state has very different laws. If you go to the drop down menu at the top of this page that says State Forums you will be able to click on your state. There you will find the answers to many of your questions on a local basis. Most of the forums will have a link within the first few posts that will take you to that state's laws.

As far as resources, there are so many it would be hard to list them all. I have used Time4Learning with my son since he was in preK. I started at age four with him. But before that we were doing things like reading numbers and letters on signs, learning colors, counting things at home, and reading lots and lots of books. We regularly attend the story hour at the library. At that time our local Barnes & Noble bookstore also had a weekly story hour. Visit your local library regularly. You will find that the children's librarian can be your best friend. Look for a local homeschool support group. Again you can find links in most state forums within the first few posts.

At this age a lot of what they learn is through play and through watching mom and dad. Let your little one help you in the kitchen. She can count out the plates and silverware. She can pour things from small pitchers into whatever you are making. As she develops skill she can measure and even help cut up vegetables. My son started out doing things like this. Now he is an excellant bread maker.

There are online resources that are free such as Learning Games For Kids. You can also get the little workbooks at the bookstore or even the grocery store. There are some great ones to teach little ones counting, recognizing letters, even how to cut and follow the line.

I would not spend a lot of money on curriculum at this age. Fifteen minutes at a time is about all she will be able to tolerate on structured learning. Relax and have fun with it. To me the most important thing is to read, read, read. Read to her a lot. But also let her see you reading for pleasure. This will inspire her to want to learn to read so she can enjoy it as much as you do.

Please let us know if you have any questions we can help you with.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

nendja is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello, Everyone!This ear I decided to go with preschool.I am new to all this, and, the tell you the truth, Have a few questions...
    But I dont know from were to start-materials?
    Where I can get proper material for long wovel activities?Does any one try this long vowel lessons
    If anyone knows a compatible alternative, or similar texts with long e activities-please post

Thanks!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

How old is your child? That makes a lot of difference. There are free online resources such as Starfall.com and Learninggamesforkids.com. I know there are others out there as well. At the preschool age the most important thing is to read, read, read to them. Practice drawing letters and numbers in pans of rice or sand. Point out letters and numbers on signs, houses, and billboards.

There are some great videos that use cartoon like characters to teach the vowel sounds from the Letter Factory. They helped my son a lot.

I started using time4learning preK when my son was nearly five. Before that we learned at home doing things that seemed natural for us. I have not heard of the program you mentioned so I really can't tell you anything about it.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota