Who is ready for the new year?
    Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Red face Who is ready for the new year?

Who is ready for the new school year?
    When are you starting?
    Anything you are adding to time4learning.com?

Share what your year looks like.

I am so not ready for the new school year.
    We are going to restart up officially after Labor Day, even though we have not really officially stopped.
    We always add bible, extra reading, co-op and interest lead activities. We are very laid back and for the most part I would call last year an unschooling year for us.

Can't wait to hear from ya'll.
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.

Ruth_Lanton is offline Member

We've started, but I'm not sure how ready I feel!

The biggest change in our house right now is Hannah's going to community college. Leah leaving for Israel actually didn't affect the flow of the household nearly as much. Either I've got both kids at home, or I'm home with Jack without the car. It's making it much harder to get to the kinds of homeschooling group activities I used to take Hannah to when I was homeschooling her. The days I have access to the car aren't really free to run around and play; between grocery shopping and doctor's appointments, the days seem quite full.

We signed up for TFL last Friday and got started with the work on Tuesday. On Wednesday, Jack realized that he doesn't like doing schoolwork on days Hannah is home, so we adjusted the plan so he's doing more TFL activities on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, and none the rest of the week. Yesterday I took a much closer look at the ELA and Math activities and decided that he didn't need to do ALL of them- he's bright and learns quickly and doesn't need so much repetition. Science and Social Studies seem to be all "meat" and no "busywork" so he's doing those in their entirety.

I also printed out some cursive handwriting sheets with his name, and tried to print out some print handwriting sheets with some random silly paragraphs, but I had technical trouble and couldn't get them to print. He has fine motor delays and his handwriting is barely legible. He needs to be able to sign his name and he needs to be able to write a legible note or shopping list.

Next week I need to get him reading daily and doing some kind of writing assignment once a week.
    Ruth, single mom to Jack, 13, Hannah, 19, and Leah, 20.

Blog Entries

I totally get the writing assignment. I have kids who don't like to write. A couple of ideas would be.

1. When making your grocery list have him make a list of about 5 items that he can look for at the store. Or any # of items. When you take him with you to the store have him look for the items and write the Price. You get letters and number writing. You can add in math when you get home by having him add up what it would cost. But the trick is he has to be able to read the list. Thus the neat handwriting.

2. Have him write a letter to a family member. Something simple. We started with 3 sentence letters and added more as we got better. He will sign his name at the end of the letter. You can have him write the envelope out in neat handwriting and mail it or not, your choice.
    Add fun to it by having who ever you mail it to write back. Every time you get a letter, he writes a letter back, thus handwriting practice with a purpose. Pen pal style. Be sure who he writes a letter to is willing to write back.

If I think of any more I will share...
    Last edited by Strouse House; 09-12-2014 at 09:26 PM. Reason: hit send to early.

I don't have the patience to combine grocery shopping and teaching. He's 12 and doesn't need THAT kind of practical lesson anymore, and my grocery time is limited due to the car sharing.

I've been making him do handwriting sheets daily. I printed out cursive writing sheets with his full name. I'm also making him hand write "something" every day. I couldn't get the non-cursive handwriting sheets to print; I was going to make up some silly ones that would entertain him while he practiced writing. The handwriting practice takes 5-10 minutes and I'm making him do it 5 days a week, even when Hannah is home.

But he also needs to do the "learning to put ideas into words" kind of writing, that I'll have him do on the computer. I need to figure out what a "7th grade writing assignment" looks like and have him do that. I want him to learn everything he would have learned in public school, but he doesn't necessarily need as much repetition. I'm thinking one writing (typing?) assignment per week is a good place to start. I can do a creative writing assignment this week, even without yet knowing ALL that I'll assign later.

I've definitely decided to separate out "handwriting" from "getting ideas onto paper." If he can email his sister in Israel, why spend money on postage? Why make him hand write long, illegible letters when he can send emails and texts readily? I just need him to write clearly enough to leave me a note or a shopping list. And, at age 12, he's ready to type up WAY more than 3 sentences at a time.

He would have gotten occupational therapy at school this year. I spoke to the therapist- she wasn't even going to work on his handwriting at all! She was going to work on his "keyboarding skills"- which are already fine! Allowing him to type in his classes, rather than having to do all that schoolwork by hand. But they'd still have the busywork, the excessive reading, etc. He wasn't learning in that environment.

Blog Entries

Oh I must have miss read your post. Have you thought about checking out Time4Writing? There is some great free info on there along with some great classes that they offer. You get one on one teacher time. No repetition and they have some fun assignments.

I love your idea of sending his sister emails. My son would so much rather type then hand write also. Our writing assignment this week was mixed with out bible lesson. Write (type) up a letter to a friend explaining why they should go to church. Something to excite the friend about going to church. So far he has done great on his rough draft.

Take a second to check out Time4Writing.com.

Good luck with your writing adventures.
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.

I'm quite capable of reading/grading his assignments, and there are two other adults in the house who are also capable. One used to be a school teacher and the other is currently a college student, so she has VERY recent essay experience! I don't want to pay somebody to do something I can do myself.

I just want a list of the assignments, in detail.