Yikes! Have to Enroll in Public School...
    AskFloppy is offline Junior Member

Default Yikes! Have to Enroll in Public School...

We've been using T4L since the beginning (6 years), and now suddenly we are faced with a situation where we can no longer homeschool. I will be enrolling my daughter (just turned 12) in public school in just a few weeks. I am freaking out because she should be going into 6th grade in the fall, but has been working on different grade levels in T4L. She's almost finished with Language Arts 5, but has just started Language Arts 4 Extensions (which is possibly too easy for her). However, she's always been "behind" in Math, and is working in the early chapters of Math 4. She struggled quite a bit in Social Studies 3 but made it through, and she's been working in Social Studies 4. I don't even want to think about how far behind she is on Science...

We've spent an inordinate amount of time working on Math since that is her weakest area, but unfortunately it's been at the expense of some of the other subjects. She does read very well, though.

Since T4L is standards-based, there are surely going to be some gaps in where she is now compared to the other students. I have never had her tested, but she'll come across that situation at some point this year in school anyway. I am freaking out the most about those two issues.

She seems to be pretty excited about going, so I guess that's one positive thing. But I just hope the school district doesn't decide to put her in 4th grade; I don't think she'd like being in a classroom full of 9- and 10-year-olds.

Have any of you all had to do this on short notice? What was your experience like?
    Last edited by AskFloppy; 07-07-2014 at 04:38 PM.

Strouse House is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Oh wow! Life is such an adventure isn't it? Sometimes the plan changes. I am sure your daughter will do fine in public school. I wish I could give you some wisdom on this but unfortunately I can not. My kids have never been to public school.

You said she has never been tested, I am assuming you are in a state that does not require testing or evaluating. I know in Florida they have to be tested or evaluated every year. I also know that when they enroll into school at the grade you state they are in but after the first grading period if there are issues they will do testing to see about extra help.

Just keep your self involved in all things that are going on in her schooling life and she will be fine. You can also still use time4learning as a supplement to help her in her schooling.

Good luck on this next adventure in life.
    Brandy - Christian (86), Wife (93), and Mother (boy 99, girl 07,boy 08). Homeschooling since 2003. Come check out our adventures in life and Time4Learning.com at Five in Training For Him.

AskFloppy is offline Junior Member

Thanks for your reassuring words. We will probably keep Time4Learning active for awhile.