Fine arts and health
    zia Guest

Default Fine arts and health

I am 100 percent sure of signing up for this, but i need some help on how to teach my child fine arts and health, since it is required by state. Are there any workbooks you reccomend or anything? My child is currently in seventh grade, and we plan to take her out of school as soon as winter break ends. Also i was wondering if taking my child to the gym (since she is overweight, needs it, and is of age, it is an option to take her there) able to be counted as physical education?

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fine arts and health

Hi!

Families in states that require certain subjects, or a certain amount of time on each subject, legitimately count things like arts and crafts, 4H, Scouts, music lessons, organized sports and casual parental instruction in things like cooking or auto mechanics. Homeschool laws are generally designed to be sure your student is learning, but not to tell you how you must teach. They may require "fine arts", but you have great leeway in what to teach in that broad subject. Does your child want to learn to knit? Does he or she paint? You could also count a visit to an art museum or concert (seriously, even a popular music concert). You can certainly count a visit to the gym, or even an enjoyable walk around the neighborhood, as P.E.

Time4Learning does offer Time4Art for fine arts. (Fine arts is generally music and art, including craft-y type of art. Health is covered throughout the science curriculum, and there is a separate health elective at the high school level.

If a state requires certain subject to be taught, that does not mean every subject on their list must be taught every year. It just means that "health" needs to be covered at some point during the student's school "career". I'm aware of only two states that specify a couple of certain subjects for certain grades (Illinois isn't one of them).

Everything does not have to be formally taught. A lot can be learned casually.

Ideas for health study: Discuss the process during before and after your child has a physical exam; have him or her read the papers the doctor gives you when he or she has an immunization (and discuss); prepare nutritious meals and talk about why they are "balanced"; call your child's attention to an article on the Internet or in a newspaper or magazine on a health topic.

Good luck to you!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!