Gradeing - Determining Grade Letter from % grades
    PerfectStranger61 Guest

Default Gradeing - Determining Grade Letter from % grades

How do you actually determine the accurate grade level achieved from the percent grade given?... My school district called and wants to know what grade my grandson is earning...

Unregistered Guest

Default Re: Gradeing - Determining Grade Letter from % grades

Quote Originally Posted by PerfectStranger61 View Post
    How do you actually determine the accurate grade level achieved from the percent grade given?... My school district called and wants to know what grade my grandson is earning...
    Grading is up to the homeschooling parent/grandparent, usually. For instance, I use 90-100% = A, 80-89% = B, 70-79%=C, 60-69% = D, 59% and below = F. However I require my children to achieve 80% before moving on to the next lesson, or they have to study that material extra to earn back a few points and understand the material. To assign a grade for the course, I would decide the weight given to each type of assignment and calculate the total grade for the course based on that composite percent. (such as: daily activities are worth 30% of the course grade; activity quizzes are worth 50% of the course grade; chapter tests are worth 20% of the course grade, or whatever you deem appropriate)

I would also check with your state's homeschooling laws to make sure that you are required to give information to a local school district about a homeschool student's grades. My state (WI) does not allow for this type of oversight by the school district when the student is in compliance with the homeschool law (has filled out the state form of intent to homeschool). If you live in a state that does require you to inform the school district of grades, do they have a specific grading scale you are meant to use?

Robin is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Gradeing - Determining Grade Letter from % grades

Most families use the traditional grading scales:
    90-100% = A
    80-89% = B
    70-79% = C
    60-69% = D
    59% and below = F

You can also do a Google search for grading scales to see if there is another that you prefer.