I need advice!!

Thread: I need advice!!

rhinoswife is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default I need advice!!

"What do you do for socialization??" That is the number one question people ask me. Some of my friends want to homeschool because they like the idea but they always ask me this. I do some things, but I wondered what y'all do. Plus my son has been asking for more time with other kids. Any ideas?? Help!

denimay is offline Senior Member

Default Re: I need advice!!

You don't say where you are, but I would start by googling "homeschool groups" with your city or state name (homeschool groups in California) and you'll get a bunch of hits. These groups often have activities on a weekly basis. You could also google "unschool groups (in your city/state) as these people are also very welcoming and generally meet on a regular basis. There are homeschooling co-ops that have regular organized activities as well. There is a board here for people from different states...you could post there asking if anyone from T4L is near you or knows of a group or co-op near you.

For the adults who are asking about "socialization" tell them that the FAMILY is a social unit even if there are only 2 people in the family. Since your son is asking for MORE kids to play/interact with I think you should honor his request and find him some.....he doesn't need all these "other kids" every day, but it would be nice for him to find some friends in a co-op or other group. You don't say how old he is, but maybe cub or boy scouts? little league? soccer? Tai Quan Do? I don't know what your financial situation is but most parks have some kind of after school or sports programs.

I'm sure there are others here who can offer more/better ideas for you.....good luck!! deni...
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

denimay is offline Senior Member

Okay...go look at THIS forum!! viewtopic.php?f=63&t=2868
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

hsindiana is offline Junior Member Newbie

The fact that you are even trying, proves that you are on the right track!!

First lets start with the true definition of "socialization". Acording to dictionary.com :
    “a continuing process whereby an individual acquires a personal identity and learns the norms, values, behaviors and social skills appropriate to his or her social position”

You know, our children are learning exactly those things! My goal is to raise Godly men who are responsible and thriving in their roles of husband, father, brother, friend, son, church member, employee or boss. In order to reach my goal/God's goal for them, they are interacting with all different people in all of those situations and or places.

Our boys get playtime with neighbor kids of all ages, dad, mom, grandparents, cousins, church kids and other families that we schedule field trips with.

If you set goals for your children, you can structure their interaction around those goals!

hsIndiana
    immeasurably more than all we can ask or imagine

rhinoswife is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you hsIndiana!