I'm new here!

Thread: I'm new here!

mphx2 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default I'm new here!

I am new to T4L and homeschooling...I'm a little terrified!!!
    My name is MaryPat and I have 2 daughters, 6 & 10. We live just outside Chicago...sw side. I had my girls in a Catholic school, but it was getting too expensive for a not that great education. I am not a very organized person and I tend to procrastinate, so I am not sure I am up to this!! I am also not sure if I should only use T4L, or if I should use it as a supplement...Now that summer is almost over, I am getting pretty stressed...see, I told you I procrastinated!!!
    Anyway, I will keep reading all I can on this forum & T4L site & just see how things go. I don't think I can screw my kids up anymore than the school could!!

rhinoswife is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: I'm new here!

Hi MaryPat, I'm Cassandra. I have been homeschooling for a 2 1/2 yrs. now and I still wake up terrifed some days that I am messing up my kids!! It's normal, even if you don't homeschool. I use T4L as my main curriculum...but it took me some
    fumbling to figure it out. I tried other things, but this is what works for us. You'll have to fumble a little probably to figure out what's best for your family. I am not very oragnized either and that's one of the reasons we use T4L as our main source of learning. ( I sit next to them as they go through the lessons and really see what they are learning, it just helps me keep a handle on their progress .) They track all the records and tests, they even have extra resources to print out so the kids can do worksheets. I supplement with classes at my local library and other activities. It's amazing to see that my children ARE learning, despite me!!! I guarantee your children will amaze you.
    I do encourage you to try though, you know your children best and love them the most, so how is that "screwing them up"? Go to the library and read up on homeschooling... that really helped me. And I joined a homeschool group with many other homeschool families and we go on field trips and stuff...here is the email for the newsletter :
    [email protected] Connie is our "leader" and sends out a newsletter, just ask to be put on the mailing list or any other questions...she is always happy to help. (she teaches a class at JJC for new homeschool parents).
    Hope that helps for now, keep in touch...

mphx2 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thanks for you encouragement and advise, Cassandra! We officially started school today, same day as the kids old school. I think it was harder for me than my kids...they thought it was cool that they were still in their pajamas while their friends were on the way to school! I was worried that I was taking them away from their friends! But after school, they played outside all evening with them!

We are fumbling, as you said, but we are figuring things out as we go. My main concern if we are at the right level, but I am going to explore further as we go to make sure we keep on track. I am trying to remain low-key and not get too stressed!

We look forward to field trips to the lots of great museums & other places in downtown Chicago & surrounding suburbs!

rhinoswife is offline Junior Member Newbie

You're welcome MaryPat! Hang in there! YOU CAN do it!!
    We are starting to increase our work as well (we've still been doing school thru the summer).
    And we are going on a field trip already this week to the zoo! Here is a great opportunity as well:
    Argonne Public Open House 2009Argonne is opening its gates to the community Saturday, Aug. 29, from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. — rain or shine. Nearly 100 engaging exhibits, demonstrations, tours and presentations are being planned for a day of fun and education for the entire family.
    A program of attractions and events, including a map of the Argonne campus, will be available free at the Argonne gates.
    Photos and videotaping are welcome.

Does anyone else have any great ideas for field trips this fall? or have you gone anywhere cool this summer? please share")
    Cassandra

Juliette is offline Junior Member Newbie

HI MaryPat! It sounds like we may be in the same 'neck of the woods'...if you can call it 'woods' around the sw suburbs of Chicago!LOL!! We are in Tinley Park....
    I have two boys 8&11 who would have been in Catholic schools (in my 'dream life'LOL) until I found that hs'ing them works best for us.
    Anyhow, if you are looking for field trips etc, let me know...maybe we can meet up!

Juliette