Lansing,IL

Thread: Lansing,IL

mawald Guest

Default Lansing,IL

Hi ,I am new to homeschooling.Do I need to let the state,or school board know I am homeschooling my children?

clynnd is offline Junior Member

Here is a link to a synopsis of IL homeschool law from HSLDA (Homeschool Legal Defense Association): http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Illinois.pdf

As far as I can tell, you do not have to register with the state or the school board, but if your children have previously attended public school you may need to send a letter to the superintendent stating that you are removing your children from public school and will be homeschooling them. If you do that, I would keep it simple, you don't have to give them a reason why. You can request their school records be transfered to you, which may help when it comes time to apply for college. I also strongly recommend joining HSLDA, as they can help with difficult situations that may arise. I have heard from several people in my area, as well as from my own mom when she tried to remove me from public school years ago, that the superintendent's job is to try to dissuade you from homeschooling, and many insist they have to see and approve curriculum or lesson plans, or that you have to buy the same textbooks as the school uses. This is nonsense, but some will try it. Good luck to you on your homeschooling journey and God Bless!

JaidensMom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi I have a few questions about homeschooling in Illinois. I reviewed the ISBOE website to see what are the requirements for the state when it comes to the curriculum? Are T4Ls Science and Social Studies courses "good enough" to satisfy the state. I want to make sure im doing everything "up to par" with the state. I am home schooling my 8yo "gited" son and will be using the 3rd grade curriculum. IF you can provide me with any information, I would be most grateful. Thank you!

Unregistered Guest

Default Lansing il.

Thank you!Also how do I find homeschool groups to join?

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by clynnd View Post
    Here is a link to a synopsis of IL homeschool law from HSLDA (Homeschool Legal Defense Association): http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Illinois.pdf

As far as I can tell, you do not have to register with the state or the school board, but if your children have previously attended public school you may need to send a letter to the superintendent stating that you are removing your children from public school and will be homeschooling them. If you do that, I would keep it simple, you don't have to give them a reason why. You can request their school records be transfered to you, which may help when it comes time to apply for college. I also strongly recommend joining HSLDA, as they can help with difficult situations that may arise. I have heard from several people in my area, as well as from my own mom when she tried to remove me from public school years ago, that the superintendent's job is to try to dissuade you from homeschooling, and many insist they have to see and approve curriculum or lesson plans, or that you have to buy the same textbooks as the school uses. This is nonsense, but some will try it. Good luck to you on your homeschooling journey and God Bless!
    Thank you!Do you know how I can get involved in a homeschool group?

Unregistered Guest

Default We're from Lansing, Il too

Hi, we also live in Lansing, but will be out of town for several months for my husband's work. In case you didnt know, Lynwood Roller Rink has homeschool roller skating every Tuesday afternoon. Iron Oaks nature preserve in Chicago Heights has a great homeschool day once a month on a Wednesday. Also the HF park district offers homeschool activities as well. All are great places to meet other homeschoolers.
    How old are your children?

Unregistered Guest

Default Lansing,IL

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi, we also live in Lansing, but will be out of town for several months for my husband's work. In case you didnt know, Lynwood Roller Rink has homeschool roller skating every Tuesday afternoon. Iron Oaks nature preserve in Chicago Heights has a great homeschool day once a month on a Wednesday. Also the HF park district offers homeschool activities as well. All are great places to meet other homeschoolers.
    How old are your children?
    Thank you so much!My kids are 10 and 12.How old are yours?

Linda3711 Guest

Default Sauk Village, IL

Hi Lansing How is the homeschooling going. I am very close to you. I have 2 grandsons that I have been homeschooling.
    One is in 4th and the other is in 6th. This is the first year using this site, they luv. I did buy the books but they use this site for about 90%
    of the time.