Laws, Curriculum and "Registration"
    Unregistered Guest

Default Laws, Curriculum and "Registration"

I am new to homeschooling a child that will be entering kindergarten.
    What is the official website for Illinois state homeschooling laws?
    In regard to Common Core, is there an option for me to teach my child math without using the Common Core method, or is teaching Common Core a requirement in the state of Illinois?
    If my child were to start homeschooling Fall of 2016, by what date must he be "registered" for such? And, where must I go to do so?
    Thank you so much! 🙂

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! I'm not in Illinois, but I found some resources that might help you until an Illinois resident comes along.

Here is a summary of your state's homeschool laws that is very easy to understand. Notice that is says, "Compulsory education laws are enacted to enforce the natural obligations of parents toprovide an education for their young, an obligation which corresponds to the parents’ right of controlover the child. (Meyer v. Nebraska, 262 U.S. 390, 400.) The object is that all shall be educated notthat they shall be educated in any particular manner or place.

It also says they need to be educated in the following branches of education, but it does not dictate what must be taught in each branch: language arts, math, biological, physical and social sciences, finearts, and physical development and health.

Here is homeschooling information from the Illinois State Board of Education, which would be the "official" info you are asking for. It specifically allows for the parent to choose curriculum. Common core is not required.

Illinois does not require notification or "registration" of homeschoolers. Time4Learning allows anyone to sign up at any time. Since you are the teacher/principal/administrator of your child's school, you set the schedule. The lessons are available 24/7, all four seasons. Many families school through the summer. Many take the entire month of December off. Some school one-month-on-one-month off. There are as many homeschool schedules as there are homeschoolers. Some families don't use a schedule at all. They work their lessons in whenever they aren't busy doing something else.

In Illinois, you only need to interact with the school district if someone reports your child as truant. No matter where you live, it's always a good idea to keep records of your child's school work in the unlikely event that you are reported as truant. Time4Learning provides printables detailing your student's activity.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Unregistered Guest

Thank you so much for all of the info,Kelly! You have been a tremendous help. 😃