Losing confidence in myself
    bugsmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Losing confidence in myself

Hello there every1. I just joined this site about 10 mins ago & I'm excited to have found it! This fall my son Ryan will be starting 6th grade. After 6 yrs of 4 different A.D.H.D. meds and very little positive benefits from them, I've decided to start homeschooling him. He was diagnosed A.D.H.D. at age five. He's never met the criteria for hyperactivity but definitely has attention span issues. His meds did nothing but make him feel sad, not eat, and basically just lose interest in everything.They helped his attention span JUST enough to make the schoolday a bit more bearable.
    Without the meds, the teachers would get impatient with him and he knew it and it would make him feel terrible. I don't doubt that A.D.H.D. meds work very well for some people, they just didn't help MY son. His hatred of school turned my life upside down. I can't think of many worse things than dropping your child off at school every day and watching them mope, with their head down, into the school. I swear I could physically and mentally feel how bad he felt all those days. His misery became OUR misery. I couldn't stand to see him so sad every day.
    Well he is THRILLED that we are going to start homeschooling now. I'm choosing my own curriculum and have accumulated a nice supply of text/workbooks, and other materials that we will need. But as the school year approaches, I'm finding myself losing the confidence I had just a couple months ago. My math skills are embarrassingly bad thanks to a very abusive math teacher I had throughout all 3 of my junior high yrs. I learned nothing. I was a senior in high school barely scraping by with a D- in pre-algebra. So anyway, there IS a question in here, I promise!
    I am not confident at all in my ability to teach him math. I'm afraid that when high school rolls around he may want to try it out in the public school setting and what if he ends up a 9th grader with 6th grade math skills? Tutors are ridiculously expensive and we just can't afford to pay someone $50 an hour. I just really hope that how I'm feeling is normal with bein new at this and all. I can't be a good teacher for him if I don't have confidence in myself. I don't want to be a failure as a teacher to my beautiful son.

timmysmom is offline Member

Hello Bugsmom! Please be encouraged! I have been home schooling my HF Autistic son for 5 years and Time4Learning was our lifesaver! You do not have to worry about "teaching" him anything and this program may help your own confidence build as you learn along with your son!

I have learned to respect my son's learning style. Our homeschooling day looks nothing like a school day. He does his best learning at night, so that is when he does his lessons! He does take breaks (gets up and stims) even in the middle of a lesson! I am okay with this.

Don't let your own fears and worrys color how your son will learn. This is a CLEAN SLATE for both of you. Don't even think about tutors till you really need them, and then you will know how much tutoring you actually need, and it may not even be in math!

Join a home schooling group that meets in person for support for you and your son. You are not alone (even though it took a while for someone to answer this post .

Good luck and keep us posted with your progress!
    Sandra
    Mom to Mo, Chet and the Tim-inator!!!

Preschool worksheets
    Worksheets created by my cousin for preschoolers!!

8belles Guest

Default Math can be done and you can learn from it, too!

My daughter is going to be in 8th grade this year and, believe me, I have a lot of fears. I wish she had the pressure that daily school attendance provides. But one thing that has worked out for us is math. I also had teachers who whacked me in the head (literally) for being so inept at math. My strong point was language and writing. I went on to major in those subjects in college. The surprise for me is that I have a difficult time imparting that knowledge to my girl. She does NOT share my interest in reading. But math, because there are NO gray areas (everything is either right or....wrong!), has been less of a challenge. We have used Saxon math as a supplement to this Time4Learning program. We buy the Saxon Teacher Lesson and Test CDs as well. It is a wonderful setup, with exact answers to the questions that appear on-screen on a blackboard. I can't recommend it enough. Also, there is a Mental Math dvd through The Great Courses that is great for us adults as well. The Great Courses group has sales, so watch for those because otherwise they are pricey. The Saxon materials are available at a great price at ChristianBooks.com. Hope this helps. God bless!

Granny's homeschool Guest

This is my first year of homeschooling a 3rd grader - my grandson who has ADHD. He also suffers from anxiety attacks and attending school was completely stressing him to the point he was not learning and most likely would not have been promoted to third grade. We decided I would homeschool him and we started right after school was out in May since we needed to catch up before we could move on to third grade material. I was very excited until the time came to begin homeschooling - and then I was swamped with a lack of self confidence. However, it has been a rewarding experience and both my grandson and I are loving it.

I bought the Saxon homeschool kit from ChristianBooks.com and it was priced very reasonably. I found the materials I was comfortable with and then I add other resources as needed. What works for me - On Sunday afternoon, I sit down with all the books and worksheets, tests, etc, and work out my plans for the week. I have a folder for each school day (Tues - Sat) and I put the worksheets, etc., needed for each day in their folders. This seems to keep me organized. We homeschool from 10 am until 2 pm and take a 30 min lunch. Our curriculum includes math, reading, language, spelling, vocabulary/dictionary usage, composition/journaling, science, social studies, health, Spanish, PE, art, and intro to computers. I couldn't find a computer curriculum I liked so wrote my own (very simple).

The good thing about homeschooling is that you can do whatever you wish as long as you are teaching the core subjects. When you begin feeling overwhelmed, just remind yourself that you are the one who has been teaching your child from birth - and you have done just fine up to this point. So just keep on doing what you've always done.

My grandson caught up on his 2nd grade work in 2 months. It is so much easier when you are working 1 on 1 with them. He loves our school and is becoming more and more involved - asking questions, reading, etc. I understand your fear of not being able to teach math, but you will find that you will learn it right along with him. And you will feel great knowing that your child does not have a "mean", disapproving teacher standing over him - no student learns well when the teacher's attitude is that the student can't do the work. If you let your child know that you believe he can do it, he WILL do it!

Good luck! And don't give up! You CAN do it!
    Granny