Mom of 3

Thread: Mom of 3

Unregistered Guest

Default Mom of 3

Any Homeschool Families in the Oak Park/Melrose Park, IL area??? I would like to meet some families that are homeschooling that are maybe willing to share some ideas/tips/suggestions/advice/criticism//////anything!!! I am new at this whole thing and I need help. I just pulled my kids out of the public system and they've been with me now for an entire month but I'm not a certified teacher and I'm afraid of making things worse so I need help! Please! Before it's too late! Thank you.

Much Appreciated!!!

Mona Guest

Default Tips on homeschooling

Hello my name is Mona and I do not live close by but I do live in Chicago. I just want to applaud you on taking control of your education. I would love to share ideas with you. I taught headstart while in college and I have worked as an educarer in Ravenswood on the Northside of Chicago. I do not believe that you will mess up as long as you be consistent and if something is not working or you are not getting the results you need, please, please change your approach. I have also completed many classes toward a teaching degree. I put my education on hold because my children come first. My oldest son is now in college pursuing aviation. My son was homeschooled from 5th grade until highschool and from there he went to public school in the south suburbs. Now I have an 8 year old, a 5 year old and a 2 year old. My two year old knows her abcs and can recognize some words and she is now learning to write her name, thanks to your baby can read program which I have all 3 of them watch together. If you want to converse with me via email, phone I would be open to that as well as periodic trips if you are interested. I would love to give you a list of books that I have. My teaching style is eclectic which means that I use a variety of curriculum styles which I believe helps round out the perfect education. Also I teach year around and my children learn everyday. Some days it may be 4 hours at the most total other days maybe 30 minutes. They love being at home with me and the adventures we have together. This is the best job I have ever had, I use time4learninig to generate reports so that I have something more in there portfolio as far as to show their progress. my email is [email protected] or you can repost here if you like and we can take it from there. I wish you much sucess. Mona

Patti Guest

Default Thanks Mona

I live in Chicago and have decided to home school my dyslexic child. I don't tell anyone because I have been criticized a lot so I just say she is in a private school. I decided to take control of her education because she is smart but because she does learn in a different way I am able to customize her education. She is in the 7th grade and I work fulltime (single mom) but we communicate throughout the day. When I get home she is excited about she has learned that day. My approach is at night I go over the activities she has done for that day and we end up going over the next days lesson plan. I complete her schedule on a daily basis and she follows it. What I really like about time4learning are the reports and the curriculum is current to where she should be. She is not doing 5th grade level work in the 7th grade. If I find something too hard and/or not challenging enough, they have advanced studies for her. We just started the program and I really like it so far. Do you have any other suggestions for a 7th grader that learns in a different way?

Thanks, Patti - Chicago, IL

topsytechie is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Patti,

Just wanted to mention a resource that Time4Learning has available that you might find really helpful to you. It's a free e-book called "Successfully Homeschooling A Child With Dyslexia". Here's the link: Parent Community and Forum - Successfully Homeschooling Your Child With Dyslexia