special needs
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nryninaygr

Thread: special needs

Unregistered Guest

Default special needs

My son is entitled to PT OT and Speech therapy through the Special Needs program at a public school. The principal said his district is under no obligation to provide these services. Can we appeal this?

Also, I was thinking maybe to have him go to school but supplement him with homeschooling courses. Would this be too much? He is 6 yrs old.

Taisha is offline Junior Member Newbie

Yes! You can appeal! My son is also entitled, but I just didnt think that the quality of services offered by them was worth the hassle. Good Luck!

Fran is offline Junior Member Newbie

I never thought continuing services with the school would be beneficial. My son was receiving speech when he attended school, but they saw him for so little time and he was pulled out of his classes. I believe it all depends on the needs of the child. If you think services will help your son I would pursue it. One of the reasons I chose to homeschool was because my son wasn't getting the quality learning he needed in the way he needed it in the public school system. I never felt his therapies were of good quality either.

nryninaygr Guest

Default about speech therapy...

There are some applications you can purchase on mommyspeechtherapy.com if you have an ipad (I don't, but you might LOL), but really great tips on teaching your little one how to make the sounds. I faced the same thing, and it was a nightmare getting the school to take any kind of action, even though by law they are most definitely supposed to offer these services to your kiddo : ( Regardless of your religious denomination, there are many groups that offer affordable alternatives that are for being administered at home. One of them is from NATHHAN: National Challenged Homeschoolers Associated Network, and the program is called "straight talk". My son was incoherent at the age of four, but we've worked with him daily (don't forget to gently correct and teach while doing regular stuff), and at the age of five his improvement is tremendous.
    As someone studying to become a special ed teacher, I am still taken aback by how the school system dodges responsibilities to needy children, but my experience with dealing with administrators (here at least) is that the fight to receive the services isn't nearly justified by the actual services they offer. I am not saying don't seek out a professional, but perhaps try some well targeted, and guided programs on your end and you might be surprised at how unnecessary it may end up being.
    Good Luck : )
    teresabutler89 likes this.