Welcome to Illinois Homeschooling Forum
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    aandwsmom is offline Senior Member

Default Welcome to Illinois Homeschooling Forum

Welcome to Time 4 Learning State Parenting Forum for Illinois!
    I am your moderator and will be here to assist your homeschooling in Illinois needs!
    My name is Katrina aka Aandwsmom and you will definitely see me around the board!
    If you have any questions on homeschooling in Illinois please post them here and I will answer them ASAP in any way I can!
    If you have new info about homeschooling events, happenings, or interesting info in Illinois, please be sure to post them here!!! We love to hear from you!!
    Please be sure to check out the T4L State Information Page:
    Illinois Homeschooling Information
    Thanks and Welcome to Homeschooling in Illinois!!
    Have a Happy Homeschooling Day!

Amanda309 is offline Junior Member

Thank you. I look forward to getting to know locals here. We're new to Hsing.

mi escuelita is offline Junior Member

I have a couple cuestion! How can I get the state standardized tests such as Illinois’ ISAT for my dauther she is 10 she is goin to start 5th grade, or a prepare it my child? Other is do I need a test for my little one He is almost 5 so we´re going to start kinder?

jackieransom is offline Junior Member Newbie

I just moved to Illinois and want to home school my son using this program which seems like a great program......my son saw it and wants to start very soon.......which is yaaaaaaaa.......as I read on the Illinois rules I think I read I do not need to register him ??????????Is that correct???????????I also saw that this program covers every class needed exept health......so I would need to do this as well as find some workbooks for health????????????please let me know.......asap as school starts in a few weeks......also it says regular school goes 176 days i believe.......is that what we do??????????????thanks......jackie

Unregistered Guest

Default Please HELP do not want to send my children back to a public school

I don't know where to begin to home school my children. Can someone please tell me what the first step is? I'm new to all of this & do not want to get discouraged.

JaidensMom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi I have a few questions about homeschooling in Illinois. I reviewed the ISBOE website to see what are the requirements for the state when it comes to the curriculum? Are T4Ls Science and Social Studies courses "good enough" to satisfy the state. I want to make sure im doing everything "up to par" with the state. I am home schooling my 8yo "gited" son and will be using the 3rd grade curriculum. IF you can provide me with any information, I would be most grateful. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by JaidensMom View Post
    Hi I have a few questions about homeschooling in Illinois. I reviewed the ISBOE website to see what are the requirements for the state when it comes to the curriculum? Are T4Ls Science and Social Studies courses "good enough" to satisfy the state. I want to make sure im doing everything "up to par" with the state. I am home schooling my 8yo "gited" son and will be using the 3rd grade curriculum. IF you can provide me with any information, I would be most grateful. Thank you!
    I answered in your other post! I will check more in depth on this for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I don't know where to begin to home school my children. Can someone please tell me what the first step is? I'm new to all of this & do not want to get discouraged.
    Hi and Welcome to Time 4 Learning! Have you signed up your children for T4L? What ages are your kids? Tell us your story!!
    I was an accidental homeschooler Fall 2008 when I pulled my son from Middle School. I happened to stumble upon T4L and decided to give it a try. I had NO clue what I was doing, never homeschooled before and had no plans. We used T4L exclusively the first year because it is an all inclusive curriculum. If your child(ren) do nothing but T4L they will get a full day of schooling because it covers Math, Language Arts and Language Arts Extensions, Science and Social Studies for each grade. This is what I did and it didnt hurt them nor me. I was able to wade into the homeschooling pool this way instead of jumping in with both feet so to speak!LOL The next year we did T4L again but I added more stuff to our day like learning Spanish and Spelling.
    Have you check out the Illinois State Page: Illinois Homeschool Info and Illinois Homeschooling Resources
    We are here to help you on your homeschooling journey so please ask any questions you need to!

mi escuelita is offline Junior Member

Oh right! sounds like I'm doing better home schooling. Finaly We started with my two kids boy-4yk girl-10y5g. Usualy we start at 8 to 10 with my dougther, then make a break for breakfast and work with the boy 11 to 1. after that 1 more hour with my dougther. we do things after school gimnastics- karate, piano-voice lessons, and others days art and clean the house, etc.. Don't be scare if you decide for some rason to do home school its hard at the beguining but eventualy you'll get it..
    Wath I understand all what you need from the state.... Sorry for my english I have 4 years in the USA and the good thingh of home schooling it's that am learning more.....

1. Section 26-1: "Any child attending a private or a parochial school where children are taught the branches of education taught to children of corresponding age and grade in the public schools, and where the instruction of the child in the branches of education is in the English language" is in compliance with the Illinois compulsory attendance law and is therefore not truant.

According to People vs. Levisen, a homeschool is a private school if it does those things that private schools are required to do.

Academic Requirements: None, other than you must teach those branches of education taught to children of corresponding age and grade in the public schools and in the English language.

NOTE: Students using American Sign Language (ASL) are considered as being taught in English. Children for whom English is a second language must still be taught in English. Of course, in addition to teaching the branches of education in English you may teach anything else including the branches in any language(s) you choose.

Subjects: According to the Illinois Annotated Code Section 27-22 the branches of education are Language Arts, Social Studies, Math, Fine Arts, Physical Science, Physical Education, and Health.

Compulsory Attendance: Compulsory attendance begins upon a child's 7th birthday and continues until their 17th birthday (unless the child has already graduated from high school). This is according to Illinois Annotated Code Section 26-1.

Note - Attendance: Attendance does NOT mean sitting at a desk for five hours. Homeschooling, by its very nature, incorporates a wide variety of experiences. There are no mandated numbers of hours per day or days per year of attendance for private schools in Illinois.

Teacher Certification: Only public school teachers must be certified according to Section 21-1.

Standardized Testing: Not required by statute.

State recognition of your program or registration of your school: Not required.

NOTE: If contacted by the Regional Superintendent or truant officers homeschoolers should verify, preferably with a written letter of compliance, that you are in compliance with Section 26-1 because you teach the required branches of education in the English language.

Mrs. Mom Guest

Red face hi... I just read your post that you are more than willing and happy to help us!

First of all, thank you! Really, thank you! No one now a days takes the time out of their busy schedule to help someone else unless they get paid for it. It is an admirable quality not many of us posses so kudos to you! and thanks again.

So, I'm new to this site and new to homeschooling and before I read your post I had placed a post in the general area I guess. Don't know if you can see it yet but basically I just need help. I need guidance and suggestions, ideas and anything I can get from people who have been doing it for a while.

I just pulled my 2 kids from their public school (2nd grade and Kindergarten) and I'm scared!!! Excited but scared! I know I'll be very busy with laundry, cooking, cleaning, homework, etc. and I don't know how I'll manage everything in a day or week. I do have 3 kids but the youngest one is currently in a Montessori program that I love and I know he's learning a lot and socializing but I cannot afford to send all 3 of my kids there. My youngest is only going there half time, so he goes Mon, Wed and Fri from 9a-12noon and that clears up his day to do other things with me around the house or more homework!!!

What can you suggest?....any ideas or schedules I can try??? I am totally open minded and open to all kinds of suggestions, especially since I am currently unemployed! I can dedicate more time to my kids and their education.

I wonder if you know of any other homeschoolers or groups near or in Melrose Park/Oak Park???

Thanks again.

Mrs. Mom (Mariana)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast