Where do you start?!?
    lalanna78 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question Where do you start?!?

Hello!

My name is Amber. I have a son who will be going into the 7th grade and I would like to get him started in homeschooling for several different reasons. Recently his Nana retired so she will be available to do this as I work full time. She has been doing much of the research and thank the Lord we have so many aquaintances through our local church that have been a wonderful help. I digress, my question is this: What are the subjects that he has to cover over his academic year? What are the guidelines for the state of IL on his level of academic progress?

clynnd is offline Junior Member

I would start by joining HSLDA (Homeschool Legal Defence Association) and by checking out their analysis of homeschooling laws in IL. http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Illinois.pdf
    HSLDA is a nonprofit organization that defends and advances parental rights to choose homeschooling for their children. In IL we do not have to submit any reports of progress to the state or school district. I would suggest you keep records for your own personal use, though. It will provide you with a picture of where you've been so you can plan where to go in the future with certain subjects.

lisatooke is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi,

If you want an idea of what other seventh graders are studying in seventh grade visit isbe.net to check out the state standards. They have recently updated them. I began by going to the library and reading many books. H.O.U.S.E is a great state organization and has many smaller local groups. I live in Lake County and belong to LHOUSE. There also lots of coops too.