Hi from Barcelona, Spain
    marinasara is offline Junior Member

Default Hi from Barcelona, Spain

Hello all,

My name is Rosa and I'm the mum of Marina, 9, and Sara, 6. We live in Castelldefels, a town very close to Barcelona, in Spain. We have a 5km sand beach and a nice forest in the hill, where we go very often. My girls used to go to the British School of Barcelona, but last year we decided to start homeschooling them with the help of a British facilitator. As we didn't like much the experience with the online school, we have decided to try time4learning this year. Our facilitator is moving back to London, and now we are seeking for a new educator. We hope that with this new tool everything will be easier.

Well, if there is anybody out there living near Barcelona or planning to move, please, contact me.

Kind regards

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Rosa. Welcome to Time4Learning. I don't know anyone from Spain on the forums but keep looking around. I would check the forums for the grades that your children are in. You may find someone on one of those. I have a nine year old boy. We have been using Time4Learning from the beginning. I love how easy it is to use and the reports that you can print out. It makes it so easy to keep records of what your child is doing. Keep checking back with any questions you might have. It's great to have you on here.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Ev7
    Ev7 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello Rosa,

My name is Ev, I am originally from france and I live in British Columbia, Canada, with my husband and 3 children. Our youngest is 12 this month. Him and I are thinking about a trip to Spain to learn Spanish. Elijah is already planning to return to Spain to study flamenco guitar once he's 15. He plays classical guitar for now. Our trip would last 3 to 6 months. I am not sure exactly how I found this forum but that has to do with Barcelona and homeschooling. For homeschooling we do SelfDesign.org I am interested in mentora exchange, something we could discuss if you were interested to host the 2 of us for some time. Of course, we are interested in being immersed in spanish most of the time so we are looking to discover our options. We need to make our trip financially sustainable (work exchange for exemple, as in WHOOFing, our budget would include travel, food and activities but I would like accommodation to be free). Any tips welcome!

From our icy Nelson, Ev

Quote Originally Posted by marinasara View Post
    Hello all,

My name is Rosa and I'm the mum of Marina, 9, and Sara, 6. We live in Castelldefels, a town very close to Barcelona, in Spain. We have a 5km sand beach and a nice forest in the hill, where we go very often. My girls used to go to the British School of Barcelona, but last year we decided to start homeschooling them with the help of a British facilitator. As we didn't like much the experience with the online school, we have decided to try time4learning this year. Our facilitator is moving back to London, and now we are seeking for a new educator. We hope that with this new tool everything will be easier.

Well, if there is anybody out there living near Barcelona or planning to move, please, contact me.

Kind regards

Tanya Iwaasa Armstrong is offline Junior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Rosa, I don't know if you are still homeschooling in Castelldelfels, but we just moved to Barcelona from Canada (Toronto Area) in August 2013. I have 4 kids and currently all go to the American School in Barcelona. My daughter age 10 is really having a hard time with school here, academically and emotionally. I had considered homeschooling her when we were in Canada too, but because we were moving to Spain we did not get the opportunity to set things up. I am very interested to find out how homeschooling works here in Catalunya. If you can share your experience or any information you have on resources available in this area, I would really be grateful.

Thanks,
    Tanya Armstrong

barcelona is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Rosa, Tanya,

We are in the same situation. Living in the Barcelona area (Castelldefels) and looking to homeschool. Would like to get in contact if possible. Please advise.

barcelona is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Rosa, Tanya,

We are in the same situation. Living in the Barcelona area (Castelldefels) and looking to homeschool. Would like to get in contact if possible. Please advise. Thanks

Blog Entries

Hola,
    I am just about to start homeschooling my daughter who is in grade 6. It has been very difficult finding other homeschooling families here in Barcelona as it's not really approved by the government. It would be great to talk with you. I just posted a visitor message on your profile 'barcelona'
    Last edited by Tanya Iwaasa Armstrong; 09-01-2014 at 05:47 PM.

Blog Entries

If there is anyone homeschooling in the Barcelona area, you can contact me at [email protected]

Tanya

francisco lopez soler is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello:

I have to daugthers 5 years old. We live in Castelldefels, near Barcelona.My wife and me are spaniards, but the girls were born in California and are american citizens. They speak spanish and english.

Next year the Law requires their schooling but we live in Castelldefels and all schools teach in catalan. That´s going be a big problem for them. Furthermore, we expect to move to Luxembourg in some years, and afterwards, probably back to the USA. Under these conditions the "Inmersion linguistica" in catalan will be useless and a handicap for their academic performance.

To circumvent legal problems we have decided to put the girls under the program "EDUCACION A DISTANCIA". T'hat´s a system devised for families which cannot take their children to a normal school because they travel very often or other circumstances.

Under this program you get your grades with the same validity that the ones you would get at a normal school, but wit the following advantages:

1) Flexibility of schedule (if you want to spend a ski holiday you can do it) (if you would like to spend a month in Bahamas you can do it)
    2)Flexibility timetable in teaching (Morning, evening, etc).
    3) Very good curriculum and good books writen by the best teachers provided by the Ministery of Education in Madrid.
    4) You ony have to pass a final test at the Ministerio de Educación office in Barcelona or in any Spanish Embassy or Consulate if you are abroad at the time

You are required to have a computer, a webcam, a printer and a scanner. Your children are assigned to a teacher which follows their progress.

May wife is a bit worried about the girls being isolated, without other children to play with.

For this reason I´d like to contact other families in the same situation and make a homeschooling group.

I live in castelldefels in a chalet.and in the garden I have a studio of 56 m2 that could be used as a school. The children could play in the garden and I have even a small swimming pool. I would offer it for free.

The parents could share the education of the kids (I can teach maths, phisics, chemistry) my wife could teach geography, history, spanish. And actually we have a girl who teaches english at home 4 hours a week. We are planning to add a chinese teacher.

I would be very happy if you could contact parents interested in this scheme and give them my coordenates to contact and talk a little about this idea

Thank you very much .

Francisco Lopez Soler
    Phone 936364978 and 634513146
    e-mail [email protected]