Any grear field trip ideas
    busymomtaylor is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Any grear field trip ideas

I am taking a break from scheduling and every so often I have a great idea for a field trip to add a change and some spice to the school year. We have done the science center in Des Moines, Tulip Time in Pella, the state capital and now I am forgetting the rest. My dear husband and I came up with a short list and here it is:
    local radio station
    pizza restraunt (see how it works not just eat there)
    Dairy farm
    possibly the bank

Ok do any of you have any great fall and winter trips that you have done?

SahmIam is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Any grear field trip ideas

I was going to suggest Pella for the spring. If there are corn mazes, that is always great to do in the fall! The last time we were in Iowa in the winter we were snowed in for the duration of the visit, so I don't have any ideas there.
    Melissa.

denimay is offline Senior Member

I like walking field trips. If you live in a neighborhood, you can start with your own block. Count the houses..graph them by color, # of stories, wood, brick, cement block, combinations, etc. Make maps of your blocks and neighbohood with street names, trees, dogs, etc. If there is any construction going on, take pictures and chart the course of the construction.....in my last PS we walked to the public library every week and the local hospital added a HUGE wing that started with a giant hole in the ground.....the project took THREE years and many of my students continued to go by and watch with their families even after they were no longer in my class. Walking field trips can be used to teach NSEW directions, right/left, landmarks and map making/following. There are lots of things to discover in one's own neighborhood.....and you can often connect with people in your neighborhood that you'd never see/meet driving by in your car. Are there old people who'd appreciate a card or a cupcake on occasion??? Young children who could become friends, small businesses in someone's garage where the "boss" might be willing to explain what he/she does and how the business works, are just some of the possibilities. If you live in the country there are lots of nature opportunities to explore. Otherwise, you could choose a spot (park, museum, shopping mall) and walk around that to see what else is there. A camera, sketchbook/notebook, pencils or pens, water and a snack are all of the materials you need and each child can easily carry these in his/her own back pack........life is too fast......take some time to look around you and see what's there....write down questions that come up and research the answers. Learn how to use public transportation for your field trips....how far can you go for say $5?? Learn how to budget, prioritize...ask your kids what THEY want to know and learn about.......then put on your tennies and head out the door......just my 2 cents! deni.........
    deni may ............
    artist and teacher

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

http://www.currclick.com/?affiliate_id=15313

crstarlette is offline Senior Member

Ooh! Do you know a dairy farm that allows visitors?

We recently went to Maquoketa Caves. The trees make the trails beautiful and of course the caves are awesome! The Devonian Fossil Gorge is another possibility.

busymomtaylor is offline Junior Member Newbie

Cool, I looked both of those up and they look great!! I had a son suggest we take a field trip again soon. So what neat ideas!!!