1. Tannersmom - 10-28-2010, 03:04 PM - permalink
    Im interested in homeschooling my 12 yr old son and have no idea where to start. Ive read many things like the Iowa laws. Does it cost to have a "supervising teacher"? Or what is the other option...something about an anual report?? Im totally lost...please help!!!
  2. NaturallySimple - 10-28-2010, 11:31 PM - permalink
    Generally supervising teachers do charge but there are definitely other ways to satisfy the CPI requirements. You could choose to test yearly or you could do a portfolio but that does have to be reviewed by a supervising teacher. There is also the option of joining an HSAP if your district offers one. I would think Time4Learning would make a portfolio quite easy because you could just print off the pdf files.

Where are you in Iowa? I might have some contact names for you.
  3. Tannersmom - 11-03-2010, 10:16 PM - permalink
    Thanks..I finally got it all figured out. Luckily I have a good friend who is a supervising teacher and she also homeschools her son. She said she would do the yearly testing for me and im gonna also print out the port folio from this site for a back up! Im from Ida Grove. I started my son on this site yesterday and he loves it! I cant get him to stop..he wants to do more and more lessons...its great!!
  4. CountryMama - 01-27-2011, 06:05 PM - permalink
    Hello, my family is new to home school but there is also another option. We found that our local school district has a Home School Assistance Program. We joined it for free. This gives us a supervising teacher, so we do not have to keep portfolios, it also gives us access to the local AEA, and since it is through the local school district if my kids want they can join sports, music, even take classes at the school. They also provide us with $100 towards our books every year. Check to see if your local school district has a Home school assistance program.
  5. bailbrae - 01-28-2011, 11:37 AM - permalink
    Hi CountryMama and welcome! Thanks for sharing such great info!!

Looking forward to hearing more from you,
    Katie