Introduction

Thread: Introduction

kswyant36 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Introduction

Hi my name is Karol. I have chosen to homeschool my 9 year old son. He has a mild form of autism and he was in special education at public school. As I was researching my options of home schooling him, I discovered that my son has learned what he should have learned. Due to the No Child Left Behind Law. I requested that my son take the third grade over and the school district said NO they do not do that to special education students. So for the past 3 years he has been moving up a grade but not learning everything he should have learned. Now the school district has a dress code, which I feel violates my sons rights and mine as a parent.
    So, I am home schooling my son. He loves it, I find it to be a lot of work on my end, but I can see the definate change in him and I am so happy and proud of his progress that I am going to stick it out. Plus many of my family members told me I can't do it and are not happy with my decision so I am off on a mission to prove them wrong.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Karol, and welcome! I also had a lot of negativity thrown at me when I started homeschooling in 2005. It would bring me down at first, but like you...I set out to prove them all wrong. That's the great thing about them being *my* kids. *I* get to make decisions regarding their upbringing/education/etc. Funny how that works, huh?

I'm glad that you made the jump to homeschooling, for both you and your son. I would never say it's easy, but I will always says that it's one of the best decisions I have ever made!

I hope you'll check back in with us and let us know how things are going with you guys!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

scrappygirl is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi Karol, I'm new to this too. My name is Heidi and we are home-schooling my stepson for the same reasons you listed. He has been passed thru every year but by testing him he has not progressed in his education. We have been using time4learning for about a month now and have already seen progress. His behavior is better, and he is more engaging than he previously was. Luckily we haven't had much resistance from anyone about our decisions, but it can be frustrating having to explain our reasons over and over again. Good for you for making the decision you have for your son!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scrappygirl View Post
    Hi Karol, I'm new to this too. My name is Heidi and we are home-schooling my stepson for the same reasons you listed. He has been passed thru every year but by testing him he has not progressed in his education. We have been using time4learning for about a month now and have already seen progress. His behavior is better, and he is more engaging than he previously was. Luckily we haven't had much resistance from anyone about our decisions, but it can be frustrating having to explain our reasons over and over again. Good for you for making the decision you have for your son!
    Hi Heidi and welcome! Thanks for saying hello and for the encouragement to Karol! Glad to hear that Time4Learning is working so far, for you and your stepson. Looking forward to chatting with you more...
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!