New To Homeschooling
    Unregistered Guest

Default New To Homeschooling

Hello, I am new to Homeschooling, and am considering homeschooling my now 9th grader for next year. I would like to know the in's and out's legally about the Homeschooling laws (Do's and Don'ts). Please Help guide me to the proper resources as to where to get started or where I should begin.

Thanks

Melody

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Melody! You might be interested in the free Welcome to Homeschooling guide. Your state's Department of Education website is the place to begin looking for the laws. Each state has its own homeschool laws, and one state's laws can be very different than another's. The laws change frequently, so be sure you are looking at an "official" source.

The best place to learn about homeschooling high school is Let's Homeschool High School.com.
    Last edited by hearthstone_academy; 04-26-2016 at 09:38 AM.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Unregistered Guest

Default Very new myself...but...

I am very new to homeschooling, in fact, just made the decision this week. This site has helped me with many Iowa questions and provides some forms etc... Homeschool Iowa

paleonurse Guest

Default Re: New To Homeschooling

I am close to making final judgment on pulling my son from public school kindergarten for ODD behaviors. The school has NO skills in helping him except what I feed them in interviews and emails. If I had more one on one time to practice our parenting program from Thomas Liotta, we would all be less stressed. I can't imagine being in trouble daily is helpful for his learning. Also, we will get a psychologists opinion later today, but I doubt I will change my mind. He LOVES learning, ESPECIALLY real world/hands on, so I want to give that to him. His brother has some behavior issues, but he thrives on the attention at school from lots of people, the very stimulating environment with unpredictability. I feel I can supplement his learning at home, but allow him to be "seen and heard" the way he likes during the day.

Trouble I will face is a split home from dad and working 32 hours of third shift in 3 days per week. I may request my boss be very strict in my scheduling so I can home school more easily and work with my son's dad more easily. My husband now works all day 5 days, but I don't want him to quit. I would like to school 4 days a week, but my days off can be a bit erratic. My sleep makes life difficult that first and last day off....jet lag is constant sometimes. I will miss the "free daycare" public school offers, but I will be happy to watch my son enjoy the lessons and progress at his own pace. He does complain of school being very "boring"!!! I love learning and am well rounded in everything, so I don't see K-1 being too challenging.

Gracekelly is offline Junior Member

Default Re: New To Homeschooling

paleonurse: I removed my DD from ps during her first grade year. You'll have no problems homeschooling him. We just began our 8th year; I find it hard to believe its been that long ago.