New to Iowa, New to time4learning
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GSA

Thread: New to Iowa, New to time4learning

GSA
    GSA is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to Iowa, New to time4learning

We just moved to Iowa from Texas.

I am still weighing the options - supervising teacher vs. ITBS testing.
    Do you know any qualified teachers in the Waterloo/Cedar Falls area?

My child just turned 11 - should I start out with the 5th grade or 6th grade level in time4learning?

Thanks,
    GSA

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi there, and welcome! As far as which route to go, teacher or testing...that's tough. I hate standardized testing, but I would probably go with that option. It sounds like that way I could homeschool throughout the year without reporting to anyone, then my kids could take the annual test and we move on. The test doesn't have a pass or fail type requirement, it just needs to show that your child has made adequate progress for that school year. If this is your first year homeschooling in Iowa, then this year's test would be a baseline for judging "progress" in the future.

If you do think you might want to go with the supervising teacher option, I would honestly contact your school board and see if they can recommend someone that works with homeschoolers in your area.

Here are the Iowa homeschool laws. I always check these, and keep them bookmarked so I can look for changes or anything.

As far as which grade level to start your child in, if you had T4L place them in 5th grade, they would automatically have access to 4th and 6th grade lessons as well. You could have your child start in the 5th grade activities and see how easy/challenging they are. If they are boring your kiddo, have them jump to 6th grade and continue from there. Then, if later on, they find something in 6th grade that stumps them in a subject, they can bounce back down to 5th grade and see if that gives them a little help. I hope that made sense, lol...

Always feel free to ask any questions you may have, and keep us posted as to how things are going with you!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

GSA
    GSA is offline Junior Member Newbie

Thank you Katie - I really appreciate hearing from you. I have almost decided to go with the testing. I will be carefully listening to advice/comments from all of you in this group.
    bailbrae likes this.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

You're welcome. Hopefully some other members will chime in soon!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!