Default Roll Call!

Let's get to know each other!

What's your name?

Ages/grades of kids?

An interesting fact about you

crstarlette is offline Senior Member

Robyn

ds 4 - preschool, ds 6 - kindergarten, ds 8 - grade 2

I don't believe having finished a degree should have to mean you are finished with higher education. I plan to continue taking classes at the local community college until I am dead or incapacitated, or until I have taken them all.

Unregistered Guest

Default Occasional visitor here

Let's get to know each other!

What's your name? Julia in West Des Moines

Ages/grades of kids? 15, 14, 12, and 9. We've always home schooled.

An interesting fact about you: My company is Three Sisters. We produce home school events in the Des Moines area -- educational programming at homeschool-friendly times, sales, and conferences. www.homelearningresources.com

I'm a veteran, so I see my time on this forum as very occasional -- I find email groups more time efficient, which may be why the email groups have more numbers, potential for networking, etc.

Three Sisters also has a blog for Iowa homeschool news.

Unregistered Guest

Default Hello im new

Hello I live northern Iowa. My daughter and I are going exploring into homeschooling. We both love it. She has a learning disability on top of ADHD and the public school let her get so far behind. I fought for years for an IEP but when I finally got it it was to late. She is at least a year below grade level but what's worse her self esteem is gone. I'm homeschooled as well and I knew it was time to take matters into my own hands. We happily are learning and playing catch up with what she didn't understand and what's more is that she supposely was not compliant in school and not willing to learn. She loves to learn and I don't see the complains they had on her for so many years. Anyway glad to be a homeschool mom From IOWA!!!!
    dnusair likes this.

MrsFushy is offline Junior Member

My name is Kate and I JUST signed up (I haven't even received my e-mail yet!)

I am from NE Iowa. My daughter, Rayne, is 6 and in Kindergarten and I just signed her up for T4L. My son, age 8, is in 3rd grade and currently using Alpha-Omega Switched On Schoolhouse. It's working for him, so I'm not going to switch his curriculum at this time. We were looking for a great computer-based curriculum for Rayne, though, since SOS doesn't start until 3rd grade.

I also have a 3 year old son.

I am a part-time Administrative Assistant for my church, a Youth Pastor's Wife, a Professional Photographer (my Dad and I own our own Photography business) and a home-schooling mother of 3. (I also teach Sunday School, am on our church Creative Team, and am a member of our Praise & Worship Team.) I love home schooling, but have very little time for it. Curriculum that the children can use on their own is a MUST in our home school ... so I am hoping my daughter will love T4L as much as she loved the demo lessons she did earlier today!

Nice to meet all of you.

~Kate

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi Kate! Welcome to Time4Learning.

My youngest is in 1st grade now, but he completed PreK and K with T4L and he loved it! One of our most favorite things about the program is how they can be independent with it. Like you, my kids need to be able to at least sit and get started on their day without me standing over them. That's not saying I'm not there if they have any problems or questions (and the way that our computer room is set up, I'm sitting in the room with them om my computer when they are on their's anyway...), but it's important for them to feel like they can be responsible for themselves and their homeschooling.

As a note, we have just recently moved back to this forum. All of the state forums had migrated to state groups last year, but we are in the process of migrating back. Keep an eye out...I will be posting information and threads that were in our old groups, and putting all of those goodies back here in the forum. This should be completed this week, so check back and see what has been discussed this past year.

Looking forward to hearing more from you!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

dancermom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default New to Homeschooling

My name is Darci and we are new to homeschooling this school year (2011-2012). My daughter is 13 1/2 years old and is entering 8th grade. We have decided to make the leap into homeschooling to more accommodate my daughter's very hectic schedule. She was sick for more than 20 + days last year, due to just trying to do too much. She is a competitive dancer and travels a lot for that. She also is a professional model based out of MN (we are in Des Moines, IA). So we needed a more relaxed atmosphere and non-traditional schooling hours.

I also work full time but 100% from home. My job is very flexible and will be able to work around my daughter's schedule and her mine.

Any tips, tricks or ideas anyone would like to share, I would love to hear them. I am excited for this coming up school year and what is in store for us!

Blog Entries

Hi Darci, and welcome! What an exciting life for your daughter! It's great that it sounds like both yours and your daughter's schedule can be met with homeschooling. I like to recommend this Welcome to Homeschooling guide to new homeschoolers (although veteran homeschoolers can benefit too, lol). There is a lot of information, but it's not overwhelming to read through. There is also this Getting Started with Time4Learning guide that can help you to get to know the T4L site.

My personal advice is to enjoy this journey. I spent the first year of our homeschooling in such a stressful mess, that I didn't get to really appreciate what homeschooling meant for us...a chance to better know my children, and to have FUN with them. We are very relaxed now. We let our day plan itself. Both of our boys (ages 12 and 7) have a lot of outside activities that we have to schedule; scouts, soccer, homeschool groups, a homeschooling fine arts program they attend. We plan our school around these things. We also keep a very open mind about what we deem educational. I don't expect my kids to sit in front of their computers or doing worksheets for several hours a day. Yes, those things are important, but so is having P.E. in the park, visiting a museum and figuring out to make 50 cupcakes from a recipe that makes about a dozen.

I hope I've helped, at least a little. Always feel free to ask any questions you have here! Looking forward to chatting with you more...
    Katie

SuzieDavis is offline Junior Member Newbie

I see alot of newbies to homeschooling. I am too! My son is 5, and we had been debating which way to go, homeschooling or the local public school. Seeing as there was no real viable options as far as private schools go around here, since we live in such a rural area. He had gone to preschool this previous year. For experience and to see how he liked it. He did great, he is a very independent boy. But, the nagging feeling i had about sending him there for kindergarten just wouldnt go away. So in the end we decided to homeschool him. Its so amazing to be able to teach him and learn with him as well. I am planning on getting him the Culvert curriculum, but as of right now im working on the basics until the stuff comes.

If anybody has any suggestions, places to go, group meetings (cause my kid needs to release a lot of energy, alot of the time!), online stores for school supplies, or around my general area, id really appreciate it!
    Suzie*

Blog Entries

Hi Suzie and welcome!

For school supplies, I always hit up the back to school sales at the big department stores, lol. That's always the best time to find stuff for cheap. As far as online stores, I am an Amazon junkie...but I have never really checked for school supplies. Now if you aren't talking about general school supplies, like markers, glue, scissors, etc., I like The School Box. That's where I end up buying my posters and maps and things. They do have an online store, and every now and then you can google "the school box coupons" and find coupons.

For groups, I would check these sites:

Homeschool World (this is a list of local groups. It's small, but it's a place to start)

Homeschooling in Iowa (this is a great site. Find the link that says support groups to find local groups...but I also saw links for events in the area, laws, information and more!)

Hope I've helped, at least a little. Looking forward to chatting with you more!
    Katie

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast