1. bailbrae - 09-08-2010, 10:06 AM - permalink
    Hi everyone! It's been a while since we last had a roll call for our Iowa group and there are several more members now. Let's all chime in and introduce ourselves so we can all become more familiar with one another.

It would be great to find out how many children you have and homeschool, as well as how long everyone has been homeschooling, when you started using T4L and how it works with your schedule, etc. Of course, you aren't limited...so feel free to share whatever you like about yourself!
  2. bailbrae - 09-08-2010, 10:06 AM - permalink
    I'll get us started. My name is Katie and I homeschool my two boys, ages 11 and 6. We have been homeschooling for 5 years now and this is our 4th year with T4L! We do use the Time4Learning program as our core curriculum, supplementing when and where we need to. We are relaxed homeschoolers, and for us that means we don't follow a super strict schedule for our school day. While I do have objectives I would like to meet, I don't put a lot of stress on the boys (or myself!) to get them done at any particular part of the day/week...as long as they do get done, I'm good. For now, this works for us. If the time comes to reevaluate, then we will do so.

Looking forward to "meeting" everyone!
  3. NaturallySimple - 10-12-2010, 11:57 PM - permalink
    Hi there,

Sorry for being slow to respond but I haven't logged in awhile.

My name is Stephany and I am a homeschooling mama to two boys who are 5 and 9 and a daughter who is 17 and off to college in January. I also have a daughter who is in high school at City High in Iowa City. My facebook tag is 'Wife, Mom, Herbalist, Johnson County Master Gardener, Home School Teacher, Full-Time College Student, and occasional Renaissance Faire performer and that about sums it up. I am aslo one of the co-organizers of the Iowa City Secular Homeschool Group.

We just started using Time4Learning last fall and it has been working well. I like that it is self-directed because I feel like there can be a lot of conflict when Mom tries to become the teacher. The boys work on their lessons and I use what they are learning in their lessons to come up with supplemental stuff. We do a lot of Montessori type activities, too. My boys (and myself) are very "hands on".
  4. bailbrae - 10-13-2010, 08:49 AM - permalink
    Hi Stephany! Glad that T4L is working alright for you and your boys. We like it for the same reasons here...independent work and time apart from me.

Looking forward to interacting and chatting with you more here!
  5. CountryMama - 01-27-2011, 06:10 PM - permalink
    Hi, my name is Beth and I have two boys ages 9 and 10. We just pulled our kids out of public school at the beginning of January. I am glad I found t4L because I was stressing myself out over what to teach them. There are so many opinions and curriculum out there I felt so overwhelmed. My kids are visual learners and all they received at PS was work sheets and 2-3 hours worth of home work each night. I am excited that I found a program that covers all what they need and I can just supplement instead of spending hours each night working on the next weeks lesson plan.
  6. bailbrae - 01-28-2011, 11:39 AM - permalink
    Hi CountryMama! I am right there with you about not having to spend hours preparing for schoolwork...definitely one of my favorite things about T4L!!

Katie