Can homeschooler participate in school sports?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By RaisingSaints

Thread: Can homeschooler participate in school sports?

danamichelle is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Can homeschooler participate in school sports?

Even if your child is homeschooled, can he or she still play school sports in her district? Or is her only option club and community sports? Also, can she participate in school orchestras or debate teams, or other clubs that she would not have available with home education?
    Thank you!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi and welcome! Here is what I found about that on the HSLDA website (the site I use to make sure I keep up to date with all of the homeschool laws):

**Kansas does not have a law granting homeschooled students the right to participate in public school classes and activities; thus, the individual schools and schools districts have the authority to decide whether to allow homeschooler participation. Policies often vary from district to district.Students wishing to participate in public school classes or activities should contact their local school for information regarding their district’s policy.**

I know that wasn't much help, but at least you know you have to approach the school board to ask. :/ Good luck and please keep us posted and let us know how things turned out!
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

RaisingSaints is offline Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by danamichelle View Post
    Even if your child is homeschooled, can he or she still play school sports in her district? Or is her only option club and community sports? Also, can she participate in school orchestras or debate teams, or other clubs that she would not have available with home education?
    Thank you!
    Actually, at least in my area, Yes.. Yes they are allowed to participate in school sports/ clubs/ & even classes, as long as it is the school your child would've attended. Perhaps my school district is very generous. I am not sure if they are 'bound' too, but we do still pay for the taxes that pay for public education.

I would definitely contact your local school, and if that is no help, go up to the next level.
    bailbrae likes this.