Need advice and resources. Please help!
    Justoneclass Guest

Default Need advice and resources. Please help!

My son did not pass the first semester of his KS History course during the 2010-11 school year. He did pass the second semester with a C grade. He has passed all of his state tests. The school dist is telling us he has to attend summer school to make up the first semester (actually the last 9 weeks of that semester). As I understand the state requirements for homeschool the student has to complete a 9 week course in KS history. Wouldn't passing 3/4 of an entire school year in this subject qualify as 9 weeks? Why is their month of 4 day weeks (2 hrs a day) enough? I have no experience with summer school! Do they test at the end of it?

I am thinking I would rather homeschool this subject for a wide variety of reasons.

Can a parent homeschool just one class then have them rejoin their public school in the Fall? Would he have to take a test to prove he knows it to the district? Would my record of what we did be enough? I do not want any issues when he gets ready to graduate. My son will be starting 9th grade in the Fall.

Any advice on this would be helpful. I work as a substitute teacher for the district so I am comfortable actually planning and teaching the material. My son is open to this being homeschooled. would this work? Where do I start at making sure it would be accepted at our dist?

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi there, and welcome. According to the Kansas homeschool laws I found, if you operate under a "non-accredited private school" (as most homeschools do), then the subjects are NOT mandated the same way. Having said that, I don't have a lot of experience with families just homeschooling one class. Honestly, you would have to contact your school board and ask them what they would accept as proof of summer school/passing that history class. :/

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help...but I do hope you'll come back and let me know what you found out from the school board...
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

Justoneclass Guest

Default thank you

Thank you for the perspective. Summer school starts very soon. I also work for the dist and the thought of bringing anything up to the school board would be harsh on my employment as well as the work I do in conjuction with the school for a local charity. So, I will probably just have my son go through the dist class. He should have worked harder honestly.

I would have really liked to work with him on this. Perhaps I will look into another way to study with him.

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry. I do wish you luck with the summer, though...
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!