Christmas Traditions....
    MarcyKY is offline Member Newbie

Default Christmas Traditions....

I'd love to hear about your Christmas homeschool traditions. Do you have any?

At our house, we begin our Christmas study the first day of Advent (this past Sunday this year!). This year we are reading from the book Jotham's Journey each day and lighting our Advent candle afterwards. I also fill our book basket with our favorite Christmas books from the library, so that we can read at least one book a day.

I'd like to work in some Christmas crafts as well, but we'll see how that goes!

For school this year, we will be learning about Christmas around the world, using this FREE unit study from Homeschool Share: Christmas Around the World

I'd love to hear what you'll be doing this year to celebrate the season!
    ~Marcy~
    homeschooling momma to Ben, age 8 (3rd grade)
    The most effective kind of education is that a child should play amongst lovely things. ~Plato
    http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/sirgalahadacademy
    T4L Kentucky Homeschool Rep

cindy4hope is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Christmas Traditions....

I don't really have any traditions Marcy, but we are making a gingerbread house this weekend. I feel like I need to be doing more,this school year is almost half over I haven't gotten half way through my workbooks, but I'm doing both time4learning and workbooks so I guess I shouldn't expect to be almost through with them. I'm still struggling with the reading issue with my 8 year old, if I can only get her to read better she will be able to work more independently, which would help me soooo much. I know sending her back to ps isn't the answer, but I'm so frustrated! I need a tutor but don't think I can afford that. Thanks for letting me vent .

Cindy

MarcyKY is offline Member Newbie

Cindy...I think we all have frustrating moments in our homeschools. Ours is with math!

Sometimes, when the frustration level is really up there, to the point I'm thinking sending Ben to school is a better idea, we take a break for some fun school. The Christmas season is the perfect time for this!

I just listed some free Christmas resources, and some of our favorite Christmas books. I invite you to take a look at them, and maybe take a break from the routine and enjoy the season with your sweet girl. A gingerbread house is certainly a great start to that! Last year, we attempted to make one and it was a distaster. I think this year, we're gonna lower our standards a bit and just do one with graham crackers!! lol!

Feel free to vent anytime!
    ~Marcy~
    homeschooling momma to Ben, age 8 (3rd grade)
    The most effective kind of education is that a child should play amongst lovely things. ~Plato
    http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/sirgalahadacademy
    T4L Kentucky Homeschool Rep

cindy4hope is offline Senior Member

Thanks Marcy!!