High school reentry
    Unregistered Guest

Default High school reentry

My son is a senior, homeschooled for 3 years. School will not take my transcript, as I did not use an accredited school, but did the reaching myself. His option is to take 17 exams for past courses. Anyone have advice or experience? Thank you!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

You might want to reach out to Let's Homeschool High School.com . The sad truth, though, is that it is quite easy to homeschool a child through high school and issue a homeschool diploma yourself . . . but quite another matter to re-enter high school after homeschooling.

I found this information about homeschooling in Kentucky. It says there are two approved methods for school districts to use to award credit. It appears that the school you are working with is using the first method. You might want to see if they will use the second method, which will allow him to prove himself without needing to test:

When students who previously attended a homeschool or non-certified secondary school (any privateschool not certified pursuant to KRS 156.160(3)) desires to enroll in a public school, the local publicschool district is responsible for proper placement and awarding credits for the non-certified privateschool.If the student does not hold a properly certified transcript, the schools may place the students usingone of two methods:
    1. Pass a similar examination given to other students receiving credit for the course.
    2. Student must attain a “C” average in the course by the 12th week of school.Those courses successfully completed by examination or performance shall be counted towardminimum high school graduation requirements in the local school district. See KRS 158.140.

Something to think about: After homeschooling him for three years, is there a reason why you do not want to decide what additional requirements he would need to meet to satisfy your expectations for a homeschool graduate from your home school? You could then homeschool him for his remaining year of high school (or maybe you'll decide he has already done enough to graduate a year early, since homeschoolers legitimately count organizes sports, Scouts, music lessons, part-time jobs, and casual parental instruction in things like cooking or auto mechanics for credit). Then you could issue a homeschool diploma, which all fifty states allow you to do.

Kentucky laws says this: Students who complete a high school education in a homeschool setting approved under statelaw qualify for federal student aid (grants, loans, and work-study funds).

One additional note is that your child is no longer subject to the compulsory education laws when he reaches age 16.

Good luck as you make some of these choices!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!