Blog Entries

Default Kentucky Legislative Updates and Getting Started Info

srbrts - 04-08-2010, 05:48 PM
    HOME SCHOOL LEGAL DEFENSE ASSOCIATION

STATE LAWS

Kentucky
    HOME | LAWS | ORGANIZATIONS | CASES | LEGISLATION | HEADLINES

Summary

Below is brief summary of the homeschooling law in Kentucky. For a detailed analysis of homeschooling in Kentucky, see:
    Kentucky—A Legal Analysis
    (Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader)
    Compulsory School Age
    "has reached 6th birthday and has not passed 16th birthday"
    Kentucky Legal Home Schooling Options: 1

Option: 1
    Legal Option:
    Qualify a home school as a private school
    Attendance:
    185 days
    Subjects:
    Reading, writing, spelling, grammar, history, mathematics, and civics
    Qualifications:
    None
    Notice:
    Notify the local board of education of those students in attendance within two weeks of start of school year
    Recordkeeping:
    Maintain an attendance register and scholarship reports
    Testing:
    None

© 2006, HSLDA
    NOTE: This summary is not intended to be, and does not constitute, the giving of legal advice. Many states have unclear compulsory attendance statutes, and the courts of those states vary in their interpretation of the statutes. Therefore, there is no guarantee any state will accept all of the options for compliance listed under each state. This summary is not intended to be a substitute for individual reliance on privately retained legal counsel such as that provided by Home School Legal Defense Association.

Best Practice Approach to Home School Verification

In the interest of the education of all children in the Commonwealth of Kentucky, and based upon the laws as they relate to compulsory attendance of school age children and their right to an education, whether in a public or private/home school, the following "best practice" approach is suggested as a way both public and private/home school personnel may approach the question of insuring that all children are enrolled in a bonafide school. A. Parents/Guardians of school age children, by law, must notify the public school district of the enrollment of their child(ren) in A private or parochial school within the first two weeds of each public school year. Home school representatives of Christian Home Educators of Kentucky and the Kentucky Home Education Association and the officers of the Kentucky Directors of Pupil Personnel Association agree that in the absence of any mitigating factors the school(s) which have properly notified public school districts should be presumed to be in compliance with the law and operating a bonafide school thus, necessitating no further investigation.

Sample Letter

Date Your School Director of Pupil Personnel
    Name of local School Board
    Address of School Board
    Dear Director of Pupil Personnel:
    This letter is to inform you that our (Sons or Daughters} (Names & Ages) will be enrolled in the (Your home school name & mailing address, Phone number) for the (School year attending) pursuant to all the applicable Kentucky Revised Statutes. Thank You. Sincerely,
    (Your Name)

Skool Time - 02-09-2011, 10:35 AM -
    LEGISLATIVE ACTION ALERT

STOP HB 225

COMPULSORY SCHOOL AGE INCREASE
    We realize some may take a double take with this alert, but please review the
    entire alert before you decide to support or not.

Call theLegislativeMessage line in Frankfort: 1-800-372-7181
    TTY Message Line 800-896-0305

Tell the operator you would like to leave a message for the House Appropriations
    and Revenue Committee, YOUR Representative and House Leadership.

Message "We do not want another government mandate. There are too many
    unintended consequences."

Some more talking points below that will fit on the message

Increasing the compulsory age for school attendance from 16 to 18 years of age
    has a number of critical problems:
    * Parents should make the ultimate decision on their child's education.
    * The purpose of this bill is to increase the graduation rate in Kentucky.
    Statistically this has not improved the graduation rates in states that have
    increased their compulsory age to 17 or 18.

* It is estimated that this bill will cost Kentucky taxpayers $15 million
    dollars annually. Kentucky needs to balance the budget, not increase our debt.

* If passed, this bill could potentially lead to more homeschool regulation.
    * It will try to force older teenagers into a situation that they may not want
    to be in and some of these unwilling students may disrupt classroom proceedings,
    disturbing those who want to be there to learn, as well as putting additional
    behavior management burdens on the teacher.
    * It violates principles of freedom and personal choice that are inherent to a
    free society. You cannot MAKE someone learn.
    * This is most likely a ploy to get more warm bodies in the seats to get more
    Federal money - which only puts KY on the hook to the Federal government and
    allows the Federal government to control KY schools.
    * the committee substitute will hope and wish that some new technical training
    will be able to be implemented in schools to make education more fun and the
    teen drop-out-wanna-bees will decide to stay instead—problem is it has no
    funding and it's a nice idea but why "mandate" them to stay at the same time?
    this was to sweeten to poison of the original bill
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Skool Time's Letter of Intent Info and Her advice

As soon as you pull him out, you have to send the school superintendent your letter of intent

heres a sample: http://www.kheahomeschool.com/?q=webfm_send/3
    when i started homeschooling my daughter last year (grade 1) i sent mine november.
    so i dont think you will have a problem.

and yes im using t4l as the core. then i add supplements from free online links.
    you can use your library as well for additional books, here in our county we have a book mobile so all i do is email my bookmobile the books
    i'd like my daughter to read and she drops them off, its really convinient for me.
    pandahoneybee

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Time4Learning overview

There is also an overview of T4L online curriculum for you to look over.
    pandahoneybee

Mrs. Sharky Guest

Default Roll call!

Hi! I'm new to homeschool and completely committed to making this a successful venture for my son.

Nice to see some other Kentucky Mama's!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

He Mrs. Sharky, It's so nice to meet you. Please tell us a bit about yourself and your family. I have a ten year old son at home. We have been homeschooling with time4learning for over five years now. Learning at home is a wonderful, exciting, scary, fun journey. Please let us know if you have any questions or anything we can help with.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Centerofmyheart Guest

Default New to this.

I am researching to find a platform on which to homeschool my 4th grader who is an out of the box learner. She is very bright but public school is not able to accommodate her needs and learning style. I am hopeful that T4L will be the answer.

Blog Entries

Welcome to Time4Learning and to the Parent Forums. My son and I have used Time4Learning since he was in preK. He is now finishing up fourth grade. We love this program. He is definitely "out of the box". He would much rather be building a rocket than learning multiplication. We have issues with him sitting still for very long. Because the lessons in t4l are short he can focus on a lesson or two and then get up and run around. Then he is ready to come back and do a few more lessons. He also loves the cartoon like characters. I hope you will find these things to be helpful for your daughter. Please let us know if you have any questions or any specifics that we can help with.

MistyRae is offline Junior Member Newbie

I wish they would expand to include high school courses. I'm homeschooling my 6th grader and my 9th grader.

Blog Entries

Many of us have concerns about that issue. I don't know what I will do when we "age out" of this great program. Have you checked out the links at Let's Homeschool Highschool? They seem to have great information for older kids.