It's hard to believe summer is almost over and school is starting. The weather has been so mild in Louisville, so for the first time ever, we did not crack a school book through the summer. In fact I had planned to wait until Labor Day to start, but then the hot and humid weather KY is known for reared its ugly head and ended our summer fun.

So, we are starting school tomorrow. Until Labor Day, we'll be easing into the year with Time4Learning, cursvie handwriting, and reading. I spent some time tonight writing lesson plans for the coming week. I still have so much to do before we really get into school full swing though.

I thought I'd share some of what we'll be doing this year for 3rd grade, and I'd love to hear your plans as well!

Math: Time4Learning and Singapore math
Language Arts: Time4Learning and Rod&Staff English 3
Handwriting: Beginning Cursive
Spelling: Sequential Spelling
Reading: I have selected several chapter books for Ben to read, with comprehension questions for us to discuss
History/Geography: Biblioplan Ancient History
Science: Exploring Creation with Astronomy and Exploring Anatomy (due out in November)
Bible: 7Cs of History from Answers in Genesis

We'll be dabbling in some intros to Hebrew, Greek and Latin to go along with our History studies as well. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do that yet, though. Oh! and I think we're both going to get dulcimer lessons, too. Love the dulcimer!

I've been busy scheduling field trips for a local field trip group I have. Coming up in Sep, we're heading up to Indianapolis to see the King Tut exhibit at the Children's Museum. We're also going to Huber's to learn about Johnny Appleseed, Historic Locust Grove to learn about KY History in the 19th century, and Conner Prairie over the course of the school year. Derby Dinner Playhouse has some good plays coming up for the year as well, and the Louisville Orchestra will be having a Martin Luther King day concert we'll attend.

We are very excited about our upcoming year. My science and history-loving kiddo is anxious to get started for sure. I think it's going to be a full, but fun year.

Please, feel free to share your plans for the upcoming year. I love to hear what others are doing!