Total newbie

Thread: Total newbie

Pattonzit is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Total newbie

My dd has been doing homeschool for about a month, I work full time outside of the home, and her mom works full time in the home.

I know it's very late, but I just got around to looking at it this morning and I'm not sure if she is doing everything she should be doing,or just getting on the laptop for an hour a day.

I know I can see what she has done, I found that out this morning and I'm wondering does she have to complete level 1,2 and 3 for all of the subjects. She wants to get finished by July 1st so she can have the summer off, but am not sure how many she has done because it seems she has done all of LA Extensions level 2 but does she need to do the other 2 levels as well.

Im sorry If this is long winded or a little confusing but would love some help to see how many lessons she needs to get done per day until july1st.

Thanks

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I know it can be a bit confusing at times. Your child has access to three levels at one time. But this does not mean that she needs to complete all three levels. This is done so that if your child needs more help you can drop them back a level. If your child is advanced in one or two subjects you can move her up a level. My so is actually working on one level for language arts extensions, another level for social studies and math, and still another level for science and language.

At second grade level if she is spending an hour on the computer and then reading and learning by helping mom and things like that she is doing great.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Pattonzit is offline Junior Member Newbie

So does that mean she doesn't have to complete like all 173 lessons on the various different subjects? And thank you so much for replying.

Blog Entries

I think I am confused a bit now as well. If your daughter is doing second grade level. She should complete all of the activities for second grade level. This includes 210 activities for language arts, 315 activities for language arts extensions, 215 activities for math, and 21 activities for science. When she has completed this she has completed second grade. She has access to first grade level activities and third grade activities. She does not have to complete any of them to complete second grade. Some students do better in some subjects that they do in others. That is why they have access to the different levels. My son is working on second grade language arts extensions, third grade math and social studies, and fourth grade language arts and science. When he finishes a subject I move him up to the next grade for that subject. So he may complete math in April, science in June, language in October. I don't worry about when he completes the whole year in a grade level. It is really up to you how you progress through the material. Kentucky law does not require you to report progress or anything like that. As long as she is moving forward you will be fine. Enjoy your summer off.

new-to-homeschool Guest

Default Am Confuse

I am too new to the homeschool. And am very interested in time4learning program, my question is my child is in the 8th grade how is it determine if he passes to the 9th grade? Do this program keep track of the grading? When I decide to put him back in the regular school what do I need to show the board to enroll him?

Like I said am new lol and don't know much about homeschooling? Oh what other programs do you use with time4learning if any?

Blog Entries

All of your questions kind of depend on the state you live in. Each state has different laws to follow. For the most part your child passes into ninth grade when you think he has completed all the work he needs to or when you think he has gained the knowledge he needs to go on to the next grade. Time4Learning keeps records of the work that your student does. If you decide to put him back in public school you can print out the reports to show what he has worked on while he was homeschooled. Most schools will place the child at the level the parent says he is working at. Then if he needs help to catch up to the others they will help him. If he is ahead of everyone else they may promote him to the next grade level. Some schools test before they place a child to see where they belong.

Unregistered Guest

Default Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by fairylover View Post
    I think I am confused a bit now as well. If your daughter is doing second grade level. She should complete all of the activities for second grade level. This includes 210 activities for language arts, 315 activities for language arts extensions, 215 activities for math, and 21 activities for science. When she has completed this she has completed second grade. She has access to first grade level activities and third grade activities. She does not have to complete any of them to complete second grade. Some students do better in some subjects that they do in others. That is why they have access to the different levels. My son is working on second grade language arts extensions, third grade math and social studies, and fourth grade language arts and science. When he finishes a subject I move him up to the next grade for that subject. So he may complete math in April, science in June, language in October. I don't worry about when he completes the whole year in a grade level. It is really up to you how you progress through the material. Kentucky law does not require you to report progress or anything like that. As long as she is moving forward you will be fine. Enjoy your summer off.
    Thank you so much for this explanation! I am very new and just doing some extensive research on homeschool and the program with time4learning. This really did clear up some of my questions very well! I also am wondering does the child need to finish all of the activities in a specific subject before you decide to move them up to the next level or is this a personal decision? thank you!