Welcome to Kentucky Homeschool Forum + Roll Call
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Default Welcome to Kentucky Homeschool Forum + Roll Call

Welcome to the Kentucky forum ! My name is Michelle and I am excited to be the moderator of good ole state of Kentucky I hope that this forum will provide alot of information , resources and support that we all need when deciding to homeschool. Please feel free to ask questions , post comments and share any information that may help anyone who homeschools in Kentucky.

If you are new to homeschooling in Kentucky , you might want to check out our Kentucky Homeschooling State page , where we cover state-related laws, resources, and curriculum information. You also might want to download our free "Welcome to Homeschooling" guide, which includes comprehensive information about homeschooling in any state.

AND-
    Roll Call! Let us know who you are and a bit about you and your family, etc.! Lots of new members are joining and maybe we can find someone close!

Happy Homeschooling
    Last edited by pandahoneybee; 03-20-2011 at 09:32 AM.
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

Blog Entries

Default Intros from the KY Group

1. pandahoneybee - 08-30-2010, 04:09 PM - permalink
      Hi Everyone~
      We have had some new members join in lately and I thought that this might be a fun get to know ya post!
      Basically, I will put in a couple of questions then answer which ever ones you want to and add your own so we can know something about each other!

Introduce yourself, kiddos and homeschooling method(if any)
      Funniest thing your kids have asked or told you since you started homeschooling
      Worst day ever so far
      Biggest accomplishment
      Worst fear
      A program or site that has worked wonders for you
      Favorite book (homeschooling or not)

Edit IP
    2. pandahoneybee - 08-30-2010, 04:22 PM - permalink
      Guess I should start the ball rolling so here's me in a nutshell,

Hi~ my name is Michelle(feel like one of those meetings) I have two boys aged almost 9 and 14 (within a couple of weeks) ok this part is tough, I would love to be an unschooler but I have issues so I would say that we are an eclectic style of homeschooler, we used what works for us, mostly led by me but wishing that they will jump in with something soon

Anthony told me about a year ago that he was scared of the teacher! (then he started laughing at his own joke!)
      Worst day ever so far
      Has to be 6 months into homeschooling when my then 6th grader was asked a question of where this workbook page was and we opened his drawer to find it full of worksheets that i had assigned and given back to him to correct or finish! Hence the reason we don't do workbooks or countless worksheets anymore

Biggest accomplishment

This one is easy this past year for Alex's testing, we had been concentrating on math because he well sucked at it (never tell him I said that! please) ok so the past year he had gotten two grades below for math word problems THIS YEAR HE GOT 10th grade 2nd Month (he was at the end of 7th grade at the time)

Worst fear

That one day my boys will look at me and say that they didn't learn a thing!

Ok I know what you are going to say BUT its totally true time4learning and time4writing has been by far the best investment I have purchased for my boys. THEY LOVE CARTOONS so it just works well for us.

I have so many but right at this very moment it has to be Gunrunner Moon by Ed Ditto, I am reading it for another site and my boys and I love the story! Big bonus it that it comes with a lessons in novel writing book that I am going thru now and hoping to use with Alex next year when he is in High school

Thats me now WHO ARE YOU?
      Edit IP
    3. teetia2 - 08-30-2010, 04:28 PM - permalink
      hello,

My name is Tara, I believe we have spoken on here before where I was having alot of questions starting this program and had a lot of discouragement from family and friends on homeschooling.. Well I decided to go ahead and start my son Caden which is in Kindergarten and time4learning started him out in the prek1 and prek2 first which was fine with me so he could get a fresh start before kindergarten assignments and that way it allows him to get use to the program... He has done a great job, im surprised on how well he has done and quick he did it.. he finished the prek1 in one day in 4hrs.. we started the prek2 today and he seemed a little overwhelmed and i only let him do half today.. we love the program so far, we have not really experienced anything funny as of yet except he loves the characters in the assignments.. Our biggest accomplishment so far is he finished the prek1 in 4hrs and the prek2 he did 5hrs of today .. My worst fear is am i doing this right and am i giving him what he needs as far as this program. I see so many parents on the forums talking about other materials and i dont know if i need to do that or not as of yet. Im trying to organize a daily routine but its kinda hard when you are doing the prek. im having my husband get me a daily planner so i can try to get a routine down.. the only thing is.. time4learning already has the assignments in line for you and they take one step at a time on each one so im gonna try to stick with that but i need to keep it written down for my records as well.. this is all new to me and im trying the best i can and i hope im doing the right thing for my son and he gets what he needs.. i hope i can continue to get the support i need on these forums.. Wish us Luck... Thanks
      Edit IP
    4. srbrts - 08-30-2010, 05:13 PM - permalink
      • Shell here and Hannah is in Grade 2, we are using T4L as a core and add supplements here and there. I use a lot of free sites. I’d say we’re eclectic.

• Too many too mention but today she was working on her subtraction notebook, I miscalculate the number of problems, she likes counting how many problems she will solve, I was told ‘learn to count mommy’.

Biggest accomplishment
      • We are not required to have a yearly testing in ky. But what I do is we have an oral test every Friday, we review the week’s lessons, she is allowed to peek at her notebook if she really cant remember the answer.
      • Shes doing addition/subtraction, double digits, borrowing, right now shes in multiplication x4

Worst fear
      • one day she’ll say ‘I didn’t learn much from homeschooling’

• time4learning, brainpop and a lot of sites to mention I have a compilation

• Her books varies, from princesses to bugs…its what ever she fancies, she picks her own books when our bookmobile comesby.
      Edit IP
    5. Hooahmama - 09-10-2010, 03:01 PM - permalink
      Hi! I'm Hooahmama (or otherwise known as Theresa). I have 11 year old boy/girl twins, Lawson and Grace. We are a Military family, and we relocate frequently. Lawson and Grace were homeschooled for Kindergarten and 1st grade in Hawaii, due to a lack of suitable public schools, and then they attended public schools for two years in Illinois, and one year in Missouri, before we moved to Kentucky this summer. We are once again homeschooling families. My son is highly gifted, and I am using Time4Learning for him, as it seemed to be a great self-directed choice for him. I will be supplementing with a foreign language, and with a writiing program through MU. My daughter has a visual processing disorder and dyslexia. I was concerned about her ability to assimilate the information visually from the computer, so for her we are using Verticy Learning through Calvert. It is supposed to be created specifically for dyslexics using Orton Gilllingham methods. I just received the curriculum, and will begin teaching it on Monday. Wish me luck!

We are new to homeschooling again, so I don't have much to share, but I can certainly state my worst fears, which are pobably similar to many. I want to do right by both of my children, and I want them to get equal attention, despite their different needs, and our different methods of conveying material. I want my son to not have educational gaps or holes in his education when and if he returns to public school, and I want my daughter to catch up to her grade by age level. For those things not to happen are my biggest fears!

My daughter is a competitive gymnast, and she spends many hours a week training, which also means that we spend many hours in the car driving her to and from practice. Some of my favorite times are in these moments, as it has become a family tradition for my son to read to us while in the car to and from gymnastics. Currently he is reading Red Pyramid to us. He has read many other book series' to us before. He gives each character believable accents and incredible personalities. He really is as good as any "professional" storyteller I have ever heard. It is a great joy to me and to his sister.

Edit IP
    6. clynnd - 09-13-2010, 10:56 PM - permalink
      My name is Crystal and I am doing preschool this year with my 2 year old daughter, Audrey. My sister-in-law (also Crystal) is doing it with me and her daughter, Lily, who is the same age. We are all originally from IL, but transplanted to KY when Audrey was 6 months old.

Well, she doesn't say much about "school" at this point, but her Nana asked her about school today, and she said, "school is right here!" and pointed to the living room floor, which is where we do most of the work/play that constitues school at this point

Worst day ever so far
      Today was the first day, and it turned out very well. With their attention spans being so short at this point, we are just following the kids' lead.

Biggest accomplishment
      For a 2 year old, Audrey has really good manners! She can also spell her name and recognize some of the letters.

Worst fear
      My biggest fear about homeschooling is that I will focus on areas that are MY strengths and not be in tune with my kids' strengths.

I will be using T4L when the kids are a bit older, but for right now, starfall.com is a favorite.

My favorite book is Dr. Suess' Oh, The Places You'll Go! We read it today and I thought I was going to cry!
      Edit IP
    7. the_homeschooling_n00b - 11-09-2010, 01:46 PM - permalink
      The name's Desiree', I'm a stay @ home mommy w/3 beautiful boys, and a good hubby!
      Recently began homeschooling my middle schooler, because of bullying and other things at his public school. Method! OMG! I need one seriously! =]

Nothing funny... YET.

Worst day ever so far
      Yesterday, when my son had a mini-meltdown over having to read!

Biggest accomplishment
      For the most part he does well... just adjusting I think.

Worst fear
      I fear that I'm not covering all the bases... and I fear he is behind.

At the moment we only use T4L... and he is making progress in some areas.

My favorite book is Dr. Suess' Oh, The Places You'll Go! This book is SO inspiring!

Plan on buying a copy for all 3 of my boys 8, 14, and 18... it will have something written from me on the inside! <3
    pandahoneybee

starmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello all. I'm a stay at home mother of two boys - one in high school and one being home schooled. I'm new to this forum so I'll spend some time browsing the threads to familiarize myself but just thought I'd give a quick hello *waving*

I'm in the Louisville area and am looking to connect with groups in the St. Mattews or Middletown neighborhoods so if anyone is familiar with groups/events in these areas I would greatly appreciate the heads up. Thanks!

Skool Time is offline Senior Member

you should probably want to check out some yahoo groups like:
    LouisvilleHS : This list is for Home Educators (Homeschoolers)
    FreerangeHSco-op : Free Range Homeschool Co-Op

im looking to re-connect with St matthews...mall. its been awhile...........

rachel77 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello Everyone! My name is Rachel. I am the mother of 4 sons twins whom are turning 18, my middle child is turning 15, and my baby will be 13 on Christmas Eve. This will be my first year homeschooling my 2 younger sons and I am really nervous about the whole thing (so wish me luck).
    My son is already enjoying this program for learning. I have found a lot of reliable resources by searching the internet. I look forward to reading and sharing information with you all as I start our homeschooling journey.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the KY forum Rachel!! and OMG all teenagers, I am having problems with just one at the moment We hope that you stay around and let us know how everything goes for ya!
    pandahoneybee

AmberA is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default I'm new to homeschooling

My name is Amber. I have a 7 year old daughter who is in 2nd grade. Our homeschool style is anything that captures my daughters attention.

Lex thinks it's the coolest thing to be able to wear her PJ's to school.

Worst day ever so far
    Not had any so far.

Biggest accomplishment
    No more running behind in the mornings.

Worst fear
    lex will grow bored with the curriculum

T4L

Any book she reads is her favorite, right know she is into anything that has to do with animals and country life.

JaydeDragon is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi! My name is Germaine and I'm a single mom of five daughters - 23 (Jahmari), 19 (Ejaun), 15 (Eyana), 9 (Araina), 4 (Aria). I use what works for us according to each child's learning style. Eyana is autistic and is a visual learner so working on the computer worked better for her. Araina is borderline visual and cognitive so the computer works for her as well.

Nothing yet

Worst day ever so far

None

Biggest accomplishment

I Homeschooled my older daughters and one's in college, the other is gainfully employed and is also taking classes.

Worst fear

Returning Eyana to public school

I've used this site before with Eyana and it worked great. Now it's Araina's turn

becklynn is offline Junior Member Newbie

hi, i'm becky. i haven't started homeschooling yet and i'll tell you why. the beginning of my research showed loads of very expensive curriculum. we have very little money, so i thought we'd save up and homeschool next year. meanwhile, i've continued to research, and i found out that one does not HAVE to use the expensive curriculum! one could write their own! i was blown away! how exciting!

i've compiled a list of about a million (library) books and websites i can use. my question: the law says to provide a letter 2 weeks before school starts. school has already started. can i pull my son (josh, 7, 2nd grade) out of school and homeschool him? or did i miss out for this year? and what is a scholarship report?

anyway, i'm very excited to start homeschooling. my son is too. and i have 2 other little boys, matty (soon to be 4) and cj (2). i will definitely homeschool them from the get-go. i've already started to homeschool matty in preschool.

Skool Time is offline Senior Member

u dont really have to have a lot of money to homeschool.
    check ur library if they do the 'library mobile' ours stops by in front of our house every 2 weeks, and i can call or email the library to request the books i want.
    there are tons of free online links to add to time4learning, thats what ive been doing for the last 3years.

the law says provide the letter of intent 2 weeks before school starts, i started time4learning nov 2009 and i sent my letter of intent Nov
    i cant remember the exact date but i do have a copy of it in my homeschool binder.
    i didnt get any problems with the school district.

scholarship reports, i have not heard any from the homeschool families i know about scholarship reports.
    what they normally do is just compile their students school work and their final grades every year.
    and thats what i do too. Kentucky is one of the easiest state to homeschool.
    so i wouldnt worry too much.

i forgot about Josh, u can pull him out of course and send your letter of intent. Let them know u will homeschool.
    As long as u follow the state's homeschool requirements i dont think ur gonna have a problem.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast