Welcome to Kentucky Homeschool Forum + Roll Call - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    becklynn is offline Junior Member Newbie

thank you, skool time! i can't wait to start. *excited*

Skool Time is offline Senior Member

noo problem! comeby for more questions and our moderator Michelle will be happy to assist ya!

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Welcome Becklynn and thanks SKOOLTIME for filling in on this post I didn't see it when I checked in yesterday!!

I love homeschooling and you are right you don't have to BE rich to do it! There are tons of books on the subject at the libraries, just type in How to homeschooling or homeschooling for free (or on a budget) on Amazon to get the list of titles to check out at the library. That's how I got started anyways!

Like SkoolTime said if you have any questions let us know and come back and tell us how you are doing!
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

Unbridled Liberty is offline Junior Member Newbie

My wife and I homeschooled our four children when we lived in Ohio. We live in Lexington now. I thought the forum members would be interested in Project Appleseed. Project Appleseed is an activity of The Revolutionary War Veterans Association, a 501(c)(3) all volunteer, non-political, non-profit organization, dedicated to teaching every American our shared heritage and history as well as traditional rifle marksmanship skills.

Appleseed rifle marksmanship and heritage clinics are non-competitive, family-friendly, and open to all, from novice shooters to experts. Safety is at the top of our priority list, so it is a perfect introduction for new shooters. For a homeschooler, Appleseed combines phys ed, history, math and physics. There is a $5.00 per day charge for women, and a $2.50 per day charge for youth (under 21). Peace officers, active duty military, National Guard, reserve, disabled and elected officials shoot FREE as honored guests. For all others, the cost is only $70.00 for both days, or $45.00 for one day of instruction by some of the best rifle marksmanship instructors in the nation. Attend one day or both days.

You may shoot anything from a .22 rimfire (the Ruger 10/22 and Marlin 795 are popular) to a centerfire such as an AR, AK, SKS, M1A or M1. You will shoot approximately 250 rounds per day as you try to qualify as a Rifleman (210 Points) on a modified version of the AQT (Army Qualification Test) course of fire. The number of slots for each shoot is limited, so pre-registration is highly encouraged to make sure a spot on the line is reserved for you. Politics are not discussed at Appleseed shoots, except for the politics of 1775. We have clinics scheduled for this fall in Boaz, Knob Creek, Carrollton, Crittenden and Williamsburg.

See the Kentucky state schedule at:
    Appleseed - Search States

Our state Facebook page:
    Kentucky Project Appleseed | Facebook

I would be happy to answer any questions you have about the specifics of an Appleseed event.

Marian.jpg [/IMG]

Unregistered Guest

Default WKU Photojournalism Student

Hi my name Sean Price, I'm a photojournalism student at WKU and I'm doing an assignment on homeschooling and I'm looking for people who would be willing to all ow me to record what homeschooling is like in their lives.

I would greatly appreciate any it if anyone would be willing to allow me to do this and I can insure that all content would only be used for my class assignment.

Once again my name is Sean Price, and I can be reached at (703) 909-3176, or via e-mail at [email protected].

lizziejinks Guest

Default Hi

Hi. I'm hoping there are still people on here since the newest post is almost a year old. My name is Laurie and we live just outside of Lexington. I am brand new to homeschooling because my kiddos are still young. My oldest just turned 4. He has apraxia, so we are dealing with speech delays with him, but he is extremely intelligent. He is learning to read, and breezing though addition and subtraction. He has been wanting to do something on the computer, so I put him in kindergarten here in hopes that it will be a ton of fun for him, and also good review. My oldest daughter is 2.5. We are just playing games with her to do numbers, colors, letters, shapes. I was hoping she would be able to do the pre-k stuff on here, but she can't control the mouse yet, and part of my reason for wanting to get them on the computer is so I can spend more one-on-one time with the other. My baby is 8 months, and she is learning how to crawl Anyways, I look forward to learning from all of you!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Lizziejinks, yes we are still here. I think working on the computer will be great from your son. My son's best friend has apraxia. He is a teenager now but he has been homeschooled all the way through. He has an electronic devise that he uses to communicate. He can click on a preprogramed button or he can type in what he wants to say. So being on the computer would be great training for something like that.

There are many great programs out there as well as time4learning for both of your children. Learning Games For Kids is a wonderful game. Starfall is another one that is good for kids the ages of yours.

Please let us know if there is anything we can help with.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Unregistered Guest

Default State testing

Hi. I am newly considering homeschool and the only answer I cannot find is on the ability for homeschoolers to take the Kentucky state test KPREP. Does anyone have any information on this?

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling. I couldn't find anything specific about this test but I did find a great link to testing information in Kentucky. I didn't have time to go through all of the info as my son has a class I have to take him to. Check it out and see what you think. Hopefully others will have more experience with this test than I do.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Janie is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello to all.

My name is Janie. I have 4 boys, aging from 6 to 24, only 2 at school age, and of those 2 only homeschooling one. I had considered homeschool for him way before I ever began, believing it was not in my budget. However, in many ways its actually less costly than public school depending on how much time I wanted to invest in finding worksheets, printing them, etc.
    My son has been diagnosed with ADHD and ODD, and those together cause behavior issues that appear not to be something the local school system can handle. I give them credit, they did try, and they continue to want to try. However, with my work schedule I am unable to drop all and go to the school everyday! So I went ahead and decided to try the homeschooling for atleast the remainder of this year, allowing me time to have my sons diagnosis re-evaluated, etc (as I believe the diagnosis is wrong). I, myself, have a CA in Psychology, with the emphasis being Child Development.

We began homeschooling on December 3, 2012. For the month of December I was non-stop with the printing or worksheets, library runs, Dollar Tree stops for art projects, etc. Meanwhile at the same time searching for online homeschooling help. During the month of December his daily lessons included Language Arts, Reading, Calendars/Seasons, History, Math, Art, Social Studies or Science, Phys Ed, Music and Art. When I logged on to this site and checked out the lesson plans, I was relieved in many ways. Once knowing that I am covering all areas I am expected, plus some. Another is, I will continue with lessons that we currently have set up but with the help of this site, I will not be doing as much printing (save some $$ on ink and paper). Plus knowing the forum is here, I think is a great tool for parents.

My son had first steps from 6mo til he was 3 when he transitioned into developmental preschool, which he attended for the following 3 years. From the 1st day of preschool he told me he did not like school, and he has maintained it every since. I hoping to transition him back in to public school after re-evals are done, but I am not so sure it will work. Definitely will attempt public schooling again next year unless I could actually find another homeschool mom, that is a stay a home mom, that would like another student. Patience is not a positive point with me unfortunately, and he currently does his work with another adult that is able to supervise (babysit) him while I work, however, I would just be more comfortable knowing the other person with him is actually HELPING along the way. By the time I get home from work, I get to look over his work, and make sure it was done, done right, etc. But not knowing exactly that the schedule is followed daily is a worry for me. Luckily in many areas he is atleast on target or a little ahead, and I want it to continue to be that way and never falling behind.

So anyway, I have typed my fingers off (and your listening ears) so I will close for now, and hope you all are having great success with your homeschooling.

Janie

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast