Welcome to Kentucky Homeschool Forum + Roll Call - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Hi Janie, Welcome to the wonderful world of homeschooling and to time4learning. We have used this program for over five years now and love it. For a child with attention issues I think it is great because the lessons are short and easily broken up. You can do as few or as many as you want at one setting. My son likes to get up and run around between lessons to relieve some of the stress of learning.

I hope you are able to find another homeschoolng mom near you to take care of your son and help with the homeschooling.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

MaryAnn is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hello My name is MaryAnn. My daughter and I have had many problems with her public school, she was absent five times due to sickness, which was on top of the allotted time, and then we were awaiting a meeting for a extra few days to set up an alternative school setting because of her emotional disorder. That was last year. Still nothing was done to set that up. I was recently informed by an advocate that I needed to ask for that in writing to hurry the process, so I am on my way. But I got ahead of myself. Because of the extra unexcused absences, the DPP took me to court anyway, and I was considered an educational dependency, and I am forced to put my daughter back into the public school system, because the DPP told me today that I was court ordered to make sure my daughter was in school and have no unexcused absenses again. When my daughter started the four grade, I had a meeting with the principal and told him of my daughters disorder, and everything was peachy keen. Until the bullying started again, and my daughter anxieties was brought to his attention, she defended her self and she was suspended from school many times, like four. Then when I told the principal that he is not attending to the bullying he kicked us out of school, so I decided to homeschool her. So, I do not know if I will be brought back to court, because the extra days off to wait for a meeting, and then signed her out to homeschool her makes any bit of difference, but as of now I cannot homeschool her. Does anyone know anything about the court system, the DPP said that the judge will tell me that I am not allowed to homeschool her because I do not have a certification to teach. I thought the law said that we did not need that to homeschool her. I thought homeschool was considered a private school, but in the eyes of the judge it is not. Help...

Blog Entries

I would suggest you contact a good lawyer. Perhaps the Homeschool Legal Defense Group can help you.

MistyRae is offline Junior Member Newbie

Which school district are you talking about? You're correct, the law does not require you have a teachers certificate. I live in Kentucky as well and have found that the state has some of the best home school laws. It's not the state but the school district and maybe the county courts that are giving you grief but they are still required to follow the laws of the state. You will probably need a lawyer if you end up in court but if you go in with state statutes in hand and proof that you are following them then there really isn't much that they can do. I found this link but I would go to the actual state site to find the statutes. https://www.homeschool-life.com/sysf...&customid=2273

Blog Entries

You are so right MistyRae. Each school district tries to do things their own way. But when you show that you know the law you get a lot further with them.

Unregistered Guest

Red face Roll Call

Hi,

I just found this little forum after four years of T4L. We use T4L as a supplement and for some reason I decided to search the entire site today and found the forum.We live outside of Lexington,Ky. I have two children 20 and 8, the 20 yr old was sent to public school from k-12 by his choice,which was a good one for him.My daughter has been homeschooled since preschool only for the reason that we felt it would be a better situation for her, which we feel has been the right choice and she agrees so far. We homeschool as a secular, eclectic base. We are a very loving open family and would love to meet anyone near the area.

Blog Entries

I'm so glad you found us. I find the forums to be very helpful when you have questions or if you just want to hear from others who are doing the same thing you are. If you tell us your name and what part of the state you are in it might help others to get to know you better.

Hello everyone, brand new to T4L and homeschooling. I am as nervous as could be doing this, I keep on thinking I am going to screw up my 10 year old son and he won't learn a thing! But I look back at his conventional school time and think, that poor child hated school so much that it made him ill. So far no sick days....LOL. We live in West Paducah, and I am amazed at how many homeschoolers there are in the area. Went to our 1st PATCH meeting, my son told me "WOW, there are more kids at this than I expected.....can I make new friends!" Our homeschooling days are a bit different, I actually work at a church and they have given me the green light to bring my son to work and homeschool him there, WHAT A BLESSING! Would love to get together with other homeschoolers for outings and such. We are starting back from the beginning with Math, our son never did get the foundations he needed to do math so we are going back to the basics. Just got some Life of Fred books and he seems to be enjoying that. Right now we do everything else on here, hopefully he is doing what he needs to do, when I look at his work it all shows completed. Anyhow, I am looking forward to the year, hopefully things will get easier with time, its all a new learning curve!

Blog Entries

Welcome to the group. It sounds like you are already doing everything I recommend to new homeschooling families. So take some deep breathes. Relax. And enjoy your son. If you have any questions feel free to ask. We're all in this together.

hannah'smom Guest

Unhappy Homeschooling In Kentucky

Hello,

My name is Tonya. I am the mother of four children. I have two biological children and two adopted. I homeschooled two of my children last year, using T4L. This year my youngest is still going to be homeschooled. She does have a learning disability. T4L works great for her. I just wanted to wish everyone good luck with the new school year.

Tonya

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast