Whew! Where Do I Begin?? 5th Grader Special Needs
    itsjustme is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Whew! Where Do I Begin?? 5th Grader Special Needs

This is something that I've considered for several years, so now I'm seriously considering making this move as the end of school year is upon me. I want to start fresh Homeschooling my 5th grader special needs child. Whew! where do I begin? He's in the 5th grade now, and being pushed through the system with failing grades. Can anyone help me with startup? Alternatives? I know to contact the BOE with an intent letter to homeschool. I would love to avoid trial and error with books, online classes etc.. HELP!! If you Please.

Skool Time is offline Senior Member

welcome to the group itsjustme, i think once you start homeschooling you will say 'what took me so long to decide homeschooling my child'. It's scary at first because we dont know where to start.
    But as soon as you get the hang of it, everyday will be easy peasy.
    homeschooling in ky is so laid back, we dont have yearly testing (unless you want your child be tested) and yes every year we have to send letter of intent to the nearest school superintendent.
    the subjects we have to teach are: reading, writing, spelling, grammar, history, mathematics, and civics.
    there are a lot of freebies online to supplement your subjects, or books recommended by grade.
    Michelle our state moderator will add more comment/help later on.

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks Skool Time! always a step (or 5) ahead of me!

Welcome to the group itsjustme
    I can tell you from personal experience that the school system always pushes thru the kids with any kind of delay. My oldest was pushed thru the 5th grade and was always (when they did their end of the testing) just below or at grade level and because he had ADHD and learning disabilities. (which now we are finding out is probably dyslexia) I can't tell you how many days he would come into the car crying about feeling stupid!

A couple things I learned after months of my son feeling frustrated with our homeschool experience. First you need to de-school him, and what that is ... you want him to be able to get all the things that he associates with school out of his mind. So for at least a month you let him, relax. I know what you are thinking here, if I don't have him doing anything how will he learn?? Don't worry he will still be fine! Since I freaked out about my boys not learning anything or what I considered learning... I planned field trips on any and every thing I could. This is after 6 months of forcing us to do 8 hours a day with workbooks,etc. We all about lost it. So take it slow, find something that he likes to learn about and tailor your first months around learning all about that. Take trips to the museum or other related places, turn writing,spelling,science and history into a unit study about want he wants to learn. This will give you both the time to find out his learning style and to give you plenty of time to research curricula.

Now what we used that first year, was Time4Learning (and its almost the only thing we still use 4 years into homeschooling), I supplemented with All about Spelling, SpellingCity.com. Time4Writing.com, Khan University (tons of great vids on just about anything)Singapore Math (oldest was really behind in this one subject along with spelling so we concentrated on getting him up to grade level and finding the gaps in his learning!)

Let me know if you have anymore questions And no worries we all were there at one point with beginning the journey, it just took some of us longer than others to realize that we CAN DO THIS
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure

Skool Time is offline Senior Member

i still check the forum when i get the chance.
    its hard to go to ky group these days because its hard to tell which post is new.
    i have to scroll down the bottom to see.
    but im here to help ya!

pandahoneybee is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

AWE you do still love me miss ya girl and thanks for coming by to hang out for a bit when you have the chance!
    pandahoneybee
    My personal blog- Pandahoneybee's Homeschooling Adventure