1st grade LA Extensions decodable books
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: 1st grade LA Extensions decodable books

mkcullinan is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default 1st grade LA Extensions decodable books

Does anyone else think that the decodable books in LA Extensions, first grade, are so much harder than the books in LA? When my daughter is doing the books in LA they are much easier than in LA Extensions. It almost seems that the books in LA Extensions are from a different grade. The books are much, much longer in LA Extensions and use a richer vocabulary. She is struggling much more with extensions than LA. She is doing it but she is getting discouraged and I hate to see that. Anyone else?

MK

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi! I agree, so here is a cut-and-paste of how I advise new members. I hope it helps.
    In first and second grade, I prefer to have my children complete the language arts program before beginning the language arts extensions. From third grade and up, they do language arts and language arts extensions simultaneously.

I have three reasons for not doing them simultaneously until third grade:

1. In grades one and two, the language arts program focuses on learning to read, and the reading required is a little bit “easier” than in the extensions.

2. The language arts extensions in grades one and two are all based around excellent science and social studies themes. By the time the student has finished the language arts program, he or she has also finished the available science and social studies lessons. The themes in the language arts extensions help to fill the science/social studies void in the second half of the school year.

3. Both the language arts and the language arts extensions assign writing projects using Story Creator. If done concurrently, the student often ends up with two writing assignments in one day, which is overwhelming for most children of this age.
    kvoj likes this.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

topsytechie is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

We also posted your question on our FB page to see what other parents recommend: https://www.facebook.com/Time4Learni...?stream_ref=10