1st Grade Quiz: Knowledge of Compound and VCCV failure
    FirstADream is offline Junior Member

Default 1st Grade Quiz: Knowledge of Compound and VCCV failure

Hi,

My daughter is already reading pretty well, so I manually skipped her (it would of been nice if it had tests at the end of each chapter like the Math, to master the material and thus forward the arrow, but, oh well).

A recent test she got 60%. I was shocked for a second, then looked at what she got wrong. She got two incorrect.

1. What is a compound word from the following three
    2. Which answer choice follows the VCCV pattern.

She hasn't covered those things...I assume they are somewhere back before this (I started her on Chapter 13 of 1st grade LA).

Should I just leave it? I have never heard of a child needing to know those terms...I don't even know the answers to them. The only time I have seen them is in an actual teacher's lesson plan, and she never told the kids the terms, it was for her reference only.

So should I skip the re-doing/researching on that quiz (and perhaps write a note down in my planner of why) or is it actually a need-to-know???

Thanks

monnalu is offline Member

Knowing what a compound word is, is very important. It is a word made up of two or more other words to make one, such as sunlight, moonshine, skyline. VCCV refers to vowel, consonant, consonant, vowel patter of words, such as also, common, napkin. These are important concepts to master early as it will help later in spelling and grammar. There are many resources online to help you.

TxBrandi is offline Junior Member

That is the only thing about skipping. My son is sometimes painfully bored as most of the 2nd grade lessons are too easy. I make him go though them anyway, because sometimes, somewhere in there, you will find something that they do not know. For example -I might not have thought to tell him what the dash between the word twenty-one is (hyphen) -I just take it for granted. One of the lessons talked about this and I was glad I made him go through it. or there was a math lesson about ordinal and cardinal numbers. I don't even remember these, so again, I was glad I didn't skip him to 3rd grade. Unfortunately, besides those two things, he has just been bored, but I figure that it can't hurt him to review.

Too bad there is not some kind of pre-test that covered every single thing that is talked about (and asked the questions in several different ways to ensure they actually know it). Then, if it could tell you which lessons to review if they missed questions in certain areas, that would be great! I would have my son do the lesson if he missed any questions at all.

FirstADream is offline Junior Member

I sould follow-up by saying that I googled the items after I wrote this.

In regards to both, she knows how to do both, she just doesn't know the vocabulary for it (same as I did not). So she doesn't know what they are called/acronym-ed, but knew how to actually do them