2nd Grade Language Arts: Odyssey Writer
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fairylover

Thread: 2nd Grade Language Arts: Odyssey Writer

kvoj is offline Member

Default 2nd Grade Language Arts: Odyssey Writer

Does anyone else use the Odyssey Writer for their 2nd Grader in Language Arts? I noticed that for example ATLA455 Authentic Task: Points and Reasons ask them to write a couple paragraphs. It's kind of teaching the basics for writing a paragraph and wants them to do so. I pulled up the worksheet in Adobe and we filled out the charts with the main idea, points, reasons/details. Then to write the paragraphs I opened Odyssey Writer (because for some reason it is now available for my 2nd AND 1st grader) and let my child proceed with writing. Then when they were done for the day I went in to get their work for the day for the records and it says N/A with an incomplete half white half blue paper. He did the work and did it correctly. I went hand in the work but I don't know any of the teachers I am his teacher.

1. So how do I change the score?
    2. Is Odyssey Writer a percentage score or N/A (as in completed or incomplete)
    3. Should I just use a Word Document?
    4. Is this affecting his grade using the Odyssey Writer being an incomplete? (Like when I print a report and it automatically gives me all the grades and percentages)

I've got myself into something I'm not sure what to do! lol Please HELP! Thanks!

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Even though Odyssey Writer appears to be working for your child it is not. There are no teachers actually grading the work. If you want to keep copies of the work you should print it before handing it in. After you have printed a copy then click on hand in and choose any teacher you want. But the work is not actually going to a teacher. All grading for assignments like this are up to you.Once you "hand in" the assignment it will show it as completed. There is not percentage grade for this, only completed or incomplete. It does not affect his grade.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

kvoj is offline Member

what do you mean .. "Even though Odyssey Writer appears to be working for your child it is not." I just want somewhere he can type these. if its not affecting his grade then i don't mind him using it since it's easy to get into and use.

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry I wasn't very clear on that. You can use the Odyssey Writer for him to type on. But the "hand in" function doesn't work like it does for the public schools. You just pick a teacher and hand it in. But it doesn't really go to anyone.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota