2nd grader, what do you do for spelling??? Suggestions Please.
    Momof2inNC is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default 2nd grader, what do you do for spelling??? Suggestions Please.

I'm totally new to T4L, what do people do for Spelling? I have thought of testing her over the words and rules that have been taught in Language. Any suggestions

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. Welcome! Here is some great info about spelling with Time4Learning!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Spellingcity.com is what I will be using this year. It's free or you can pay $30 for the premium edition and have more options.

kins87 is offline Junior Member

Lately I discovered a game. You have to build words that include three or four letters which you find on red cards. You play against the clock - so I played it with my little boy several times and I think it is a very good practise for spelling.

xmom is offline Junior Member Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Momof2inNC View Post
    I'm totally new to T4L, what do people do for Spelling? I have thought of testing her over the words and rules that have been taught in Language. Any suggestions
    I started homeschooling my son last year, half-way through 1st grade. He can read on a third grade level..but gets very lazy about spelling - so it was important to me to give him a little structure in spelling. I hope it's okay to post this, but one site, k12reader .com has weekly spelling lists, organized by grade levels. I usually just print out the weekly list on Monday, have him review/write it every day, then we "test" on Friday.

Also, I don't know if you have any good thrift stores where you live, but I've found a treasure trove of text books (some specifically spelling) for super cheap .

We're loving T4 - I also tried the link above for the T4L spelling information, and got the same message mentioned above.

Hope this helps a little - M

fairylover is offline Senior Member
    Blog Entries

If you use your parent login on the first page that comes up you will see a link to Spelling words over on the right hand side of the page. Click on that and then click on your child's grade level. It will bring up a list of spelling words for that grade level.

I have also used SpellingCity.com and LearningGamesForKids.com to practice spelling with my son.
    Kathi Homeschooling Mama to Twelve year old Dakota

Kate is offline Junior Member

Tried all those spelling sites for my son, nothing was working. He hated to write, and he HATED spelling lists. I tried All About Spelling this year, and now he actually likes doing his spelling lessons. We are almost done with Level 1 and am going to order Level 2 this week (they don't correspond to grade levels). It is multi-sensory. While T4L is good for some things (Language Arts really helped him with his reading!) - it is only computer based - and some kids need more than computer work.

Blog Entries

It is so true that each child is different. You have to find what works best for your child. My son hated All About Spelling. But if it works for your child that is the most important thing.

RhondaL is offline Junior Member

I know I'm a little late on the subject, but another option is to supplement with a Spectrum Spelling workbook (can find them at Lakeshore Learning, The School Box and Barnes and Noble - probably other places too). They give a weekly spelling list and also a few worksheets to reinforce the words during the week. I will be starting the T4L Curriculum with my 3rd grader on Monday and may still continue to use my spelling workbook as I am seeing a bit of a lack on straight spelling. However I can understand as spelling is kind of difficult to put online - especially for testing.

Blog Entries

Many of our members use Spelling City. You can use some of the services for free or pay a small fee for the premium membership which gives you access to all their services.