3rd Grade Chapter Tests
    m.lambert1030 is offline Junior Member

Default 3rd Grade Chapter Tests

Hello,
    This is our first year using Time4Learning and I'm finding that I am not a huge fan of the chapter tests for SS, LAE, and Science. My daughter passes the quizzes with flying colors and we study thoroughly but there always seems to be a few questions that I don't even remember her learning about. It's very frustrating and discouraging to her. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks for any response.
    Melissa L.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Some of the questions are designed to see if the student can apply what they have learned to a similar (but different) problem. Some of my own kids found that frustrating and others didn't think twice about it. I understand it's because a test can't ask a question about every, single concept that was studied. Instead, a random selection of questions are chosen, along with a question or two that seeks to assess a deeper understanding of the topic.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

m.lambert1030 is offline Junior Member

Well when it's asked in ways to trick the child and stump the parent it's very frustrating. It seems as though some questions are asked that weren't covered at all in the modules. I've also noticed lots of errors in the Social Studies modules so this will most likely be our last year using time 4 learning. Which is annoying because I was so excited to use this program and have my daughter learn from it but it's not working for her in the way I hoped it would have.

Blog Entries

The social studies and science curriculum is provided as a free bonus. They are older lessons and will not be updated . . . except T4L did get an opportunity to upgrade to the new middle school science lessons, which my kids think are wonderful.

I would be interested in a specific example of a question that was asked on a test and not covered at all in the curriculum. T4L does send parent feedback to the developer of this curriculum.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

heidijoyvan@hotmail.com is offline Junior Member

We are finding the same things about 5th grade science and social studies I went so far as to print the questions for her to look up the answers on one of the science ones and she still couldn't find them. I then took the test with her and we couldn't figure it out. After 20 tries, rereading everything multiple times, and even trying to cheat, I let move on.

I also finding it very frustrating that they don't tell her what her grade is. I tell her to get at least 70% on everything, but they don't tell her what her score is... and to top it off they don't put check marks on the lesson when she finishes the quiz yet will check the entire chapter if she never took the quizzes. Makes it impossible for her to keep track of her own progress.

I have yet to find a good way to keep track myself. The reporting needs to include all of the lesson plan in a spreadsheet format so you can sort and easily see what has been done and what remains altogether.

She has been doing better with this than regular school, and we are too far in to the school year to switch programs. I just wish it was more consistent for her and easier to keep track of progress for me.

Blog Entries

Hi, Heidi. Are you using the activity planner? That plan will include all the lessons, quizzes, tests, and worksheets in the exact order that they are presented (except for the ones you might have indicated you want left off the plan). When your student finishes each thing, they are automatically checked off (once a day), or your student can check them off herself. You can view the plan at any time to see what has been checked off and what is left.

She can click on Portfolio to see her grades as soon as she finishes a lesson, quiz, or test. That tab is located to her left, when she is signed in to her account.

heidijoyvan@hotmail.com is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the response, I am not even sure how to navigate the forum much less the program. How do you start using the activity planner mid year? It seems to default like it's the beginning of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by hearthstone_academy View Post
    Hi, Heidi. Are you using the activity planner? That plan will include all the lessons, quizzes, tests, and worksheets in the exact order that they are presented (except for the ones you might have indicated you want left off the plan). When your student finishes each thing, they are automatically checked off (once a day), or your student can check them off herself. You can view the plan at any time to see what has been checked off and what is left.

She can click on Portfolio to see her grades as soon as she finishes a lesson, quiz, or test. That tab is located to her left, when she is signed in to her account.

Blog Entries

Heidii, there is a place as soon as you log in to the planner to input what you want to be your start date and what you want to be your end date.