3rd Grade Math? Boring? Not fun, Not Working for my daughter.....HELP!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jimmy_aviles

Thread: 3rd Grade Math? Boring? Not fun, Not Working for my daughter.....HELP!

Mom2AKPrincess is offline Junior Member

Default 3rd Grade Math? Boring? Not fun, Not Working for my daughter.....HELP!

Hi All -

We have been faithfully using T4L since my daughter was in Kindergarten. We have loved the lessons, and she has made wonderful progress.

She had a speech delay as a toddler so we are finishing up 1st grade LA and LA Extensions, but she was on target (even a bit ahead) in 2nd grade Science and Social Studies, and on target with 2nd grade math.

While I decide what to do, I am having her do 2nd grade math all over again - she had trouble with Money and Time - so I figured the review was a good thing.

I am not AT ALL happy with Math for grade 3!!!! We started the first lesson yesterday, our first day of school and it was REALLY boring, LONG, and VERY little to no instruction or explanation. Plus the amount of reading is way beyond what she can do, so I had to help her through all of it (not that I ming that - one of the perks of homeschooling, but still - I think they really changed their format for 3rd grade and it just doesn't work!

Does anyone else feel this way? Are ALL of the lessons like the first one? Did they just get rid of all of the fun games and such that help the kids to enjoy the learning?

If you are noticing the same as I am - what did you do - or what are you doing? Is there another program that continues to make 3rd grade math fun? I am happy to supplement (or change math programs completely) with something different if it means she can learn what she needs to, still have fun, and not get so frustrated.

Half of the reason we are homeschooling was to preserve her excitement and love of learning and 3rd grade math so far is just terrible!!!

Any ideas and/or help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!!

Jimmy_aviles is offline Junior Member

I understand what you are saying, the format is similar from 3rd grade on. I have a 1st, 3rd, and 5th grader who are all doing t4l. We did other curriculums for our 5th grader until 4th grade and this is the most interactive, and well rounded program I've found. They usually like the lessons with the cartoon characters more than the handbooks. I just try to read the handbook with them and am teaching them how to take notes, so that they have them as a reference. Its good practice for future learning as well. This also gives us a chance to discuss the content which I feel really helps me know if they are having trouble before they get to the quizzes and tests. In any learning program I know of third grade is a big difference, it's when kids really are more challenged, they have a little more trouble, and they tend to find it less fun. I just try to make learning as interactive as I can during and after school. I come up with little "games" to bring home topics especially during lunch and dinner. I also allow educational games on the ipad during the week for limited times (works great as a reward). There are so many wonderful games, that really help increase their learning. Math ninja, and Math Blaster are two that my boys absolutely love on the ipad.

I hope that helps a little.
    home_school_mom likes this.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

The parent login tells of an update coming on September 4, which will reorganize some lessons, making them shorter. I don't know the details, but the update might address some of your concerns. It will be interesting to find out!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

draucker is offline Junior Member Newbie

Math is boring and real life contains no cartoons. By third grade, students should have the emotional maturity to deal with it. That's why the lessons change so radically (longer, less comical, and longer reading texts). The problem is, not every matures emotionally at the same rate as they mature mentally. So, while she may be mentally ready for third grade math, she may not be emotionally ready for the change in how it's taught. I suggest getting a big white board and brush up on the art of acting stupid, then put on "math shows" for her and work with her through the lessons in a fun and interactive way, adding, subtracting, multiplying or whatever things the she can directly relate to and has interest in. We got our son over several learning hurdles by playing "He's the teacher" which involved making videos of him at the white board teaching his collection of Teddy Bears how to do whatever was in the lesson he was having difficulty with.

Gin Pak-Boon Sumrup Dah is offline Junior Member Newbie

Hi there Mom2AKPrincess!

Here are some fun Original Animations we made for people who feel exactly like you do.
    We have 21 videos so far that make learning math way more fun. We plan to release 50 more over the next 2 years. Each one has to be drawn and reworked, so they take a lot of time and effort.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt9...NwWTH5T_JnyF-A

I hope you like them. I would also highly value your feedback either here on on the YOUTUBE page.

flsunrise is offline Junior Member

I'm not fond of the sentiment that kids should suddenly be forced to attend to boring tasks just because they've turned 8 or 9. I'm 38. I still don't like sitting down to do my taxes or balance my budget, but at least I have programs that make the process as painless as possible. I don't know why we would expect more from an 8 year old than we expect from ourselves.

We've just discovered dreambox. Google it. It's amazing. It's not a completely comprehensive curriculum, but it is far and away the best thing I've stumbled on so far in getting math concepts across in an engaging way. My 3 are literally fighting over whose turn it is to play, which may not last once the novelty wears off, but sure is nice right now. We'll keep plugging away with t4l as well to make sure they don't have any holes, but I highly recommend dreambox.

Also, @Gin Pak-Boon above: I checked out your channel and we have subscribed there. It looks great and your video on rounding #s just cleared up my 3rd grader's confusion in 3 minutes.

We really like Khan Academy as a supplement for the math. Mine likes it because with each question there is an option to watch a video if they don't understand. The way they explain is very kid level appropriate, too