3rd grade science & history
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By hearthstone_academy

Thread: 3rd grade science & history

michelleafincannon is offline Junior Member

Default 3rd grade science & history

Ok - every other subject is entertaining with the games and cartoons, why is Science & History not programmed that way? My son is extremely bored in these 2 subjects because he is so use to Time4Learning's incorporation of animation and games. He doesn't want to do these subjects and we can only go through a few pages at a time before he wants to quit. He will ask me why aren't these 2 subjects programmed the way LA & MATH.

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi. Time4Learning provides a complete math and language arts curriculum, with some science and social studies available at most levels as a free bonus. My own kids enjoyed the text-based science and social studies lessons, because they knew the alternative was a textbook . . . with a lot more reading and no ability to click on words to hear them pronounced or defined, click on illustrations to see them animated, and so forth.

With my son who didn't begin T4L until third grade . . . I actually put him in the first/second grade social studies and the first grade and second grade science to begin. I never told any of my kids that "level" corresponded to "grade" in T4L, because I picked and chose a lot among what's availabe . . . especially in science and social studies.

The middle school science lessons are all new, and they become more animated again (at least, they are taught by video teachers). Input lesson activity number MSSC004 into your child's Activity Finder (the little magnifying glass icon at the lower, right after he has logged in) to view a middle school science lesson. Depending on your student, it might be appropriate to give him the MS Nature of Science course (which is designed to be a short course). This would have him doing science approximately twice a week.

Here is a way to use just the animated science lessons in Time4Learning.

Another option is to sign up for Science4Us for science. It's 7.95/month, but very animated and fun. I believe it is designed for students through second grade but, again, I don't pay attention to the grade levels. Science4Us studies topics like matter, electricity, magnets, etc. My third and even fourth graders have learned a lot from that program.

Until seventh grade, all of the social studies lessons are text based. The lessons aren't very long, so I poured myself a cup of coffee and read them aloud to my kids. I learned a lot! It would be nice if T4L updated the free social studies lessons, as they did the middle school science lessons recently, but there aren't plans to do that any time soon.

The entire Liberty Kids video series is available for free on YouTube. It's a fun way to learn about the Revolutionary War period in history. I let my kids watch those cartoons for social studies, and I didn't bother with tests or anything. Occasionally, I would print out a coloring page on one of the topics. In my opinion, if a third grader did all of the first/second grade social studies lessons in Time4Learning and watched all of the Liberty Kids cartoons, they would be way ahead of a public school curriculum.

I hope this gives you ideas for some options for those two subjects. Maybe next year you could let him try third grade social studies in T4L again. He will need to learn to do textbook-style learning at some point, but I do understand the difficulty in transitioning, because I had the same challenge with my own kids.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

Thank you, your response helps a lot. I will try the tips. I think the text reading is fine but some short animation to liven it up here and there would make the transition from 2nd grade animation to complete 3rd grade text style easier. Thanks!

I looked into the T4L list of animated options, they will work great. Since science is a short course, we will do text one week then animation the next week and continue to alternate that way. So he has something to look forward to in Science. Thanks!

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a great plan! Very creative, to mix the two styles.

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

katshu2 is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by michelleafincannon View Post
    Ok - every other subject is entertaining with the games and cartoons, why is Science & History not programmed that way? My son is extremely bored in these 2 subjects because he is so use to Time4Learning's incorporation of animation and games. He doesn't want to do these subjects and we can only go through a few pages at a time before he wants to quit. He will ask me why aren't these 2 subjects programmed the way LA & MATH.

Hi Michelle! I just wanted to see if you knew about the recent partnership between T4L and Science4Us? 300 science activities added at the K-3 grade levels. You can activate these science activities in your parent account, under your student's subject/grade level change option.
    Katie
    Coffee drinker, gadget addict, proud geek.
    Accidentally homeschooling since 2005!

My son has greatly enjoyed doing the science4us selection and i've put him into 2nd grade in that to cover more than jumping right to 3rd grade. He loves it so much he will do many lessons in a day just because they are short and fun.

I'm having a big issue with social studies though and i completely agree that 2nd grade was much more enjoyable. The 3rd grade lessons might be short reading of 7 pages on average or so, but they are so incredibly repetitive one block to the next in that subject. My son and i would alternate reading pages, me, then him so he gets some reading in too, but when we go to the next one and it seems to be the same subject material just mixed up differently he knows and starts to complain that we've already read all of this. He is gifted and i have to keep him challenged but this year is more of a challenge on me to figure out how to keep T4L working for us. Math and language arts have been fantastic! I don't know what happened to LA extensions that it went so downhill too. I know 3rd grade is a big transitional grade stepping into more reading but the flow doesn't work at all from 2nd-3rd. Since we school year round it was really obvious when we went into 3rd of how clearly different, demanding and repetitive it is. I'm afraid we've stopped using those subjects which are cumbersome and boring and just doing science4us, language arts and math then i add in some worksheets on the side so he's still getting more grammar based work. I completely understand giving a more textbook feel but when every single lesson is like that it really burns out a younger gifted child. (He's 7) I hope they figure it out for future kids.

Prudence123 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: 3rd grade science & history

I actually put him in the first/second grade social studies and the first grade and second grade science to begin.