3rd grader homeschooling advice.
    kbrannon28 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Question 3rd grader homeschooling advice.

I'm currently looking into homeshooling for a third grader. We just moved to Lee county and school isn't going as well for him and I feel like he would benefit from homeschooling where I can see what he's doing everyday and not depend on a teacher to contact me when he's not doing as he is supposed to. It's just so difficult for me to find straight forward information on where to begin with the homeschooling process and how much it would cost out of pocket for a curriculum, or if it's even necessary to purchase a curriculum. I just felt like if I could find someone that was where I'm at at some point in time then maybe they could simplify what process I have to go through. Any information would be exceptionally helpful. Thank you in advance.

angelinap19 is offline Junior Member Newbie

Default Re: 3rd grader homeschooling advice.

Hello! I just now joined this site, and I too am new to homeschooling my son, who will be going into third grade this coming school year as well. The homeschool world is overwhelming so I am definitely a beginner, I am actually trying to figure out what to do next, I have just submitted the form to terminate his attendance from public school as of this coming year and that I will start homeschooling him but don’t know what to do now or how to pick or what to pick from reference curriculums. A friend of mine did tell me there are placements tests (free) online to have my son take to see where he falls in learning. I have found a reputable site for that. Where about are you in the homeschool process right now? We live in Charlotte County btw- one county north of you =)

hearthstone_academy is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hi, Angelina! Welcome to you and your son!

You might be interested in the free Welcome to Homeschooling guide.

Each state has its own homeschool laws, and they are all very different. You are free to choose any curriculum you wish, regardless of the state in which you live. (Some states specify that you much teach certain subjects in general, such as "math", but they do not specify the content of the subject, so it's up to you to decide which "math" to teach.)

This is the parent forum for parents who are using or interested in using Time4Learning, which is an online curriculum. Here are some lesson demos and here is a tour video, so you can get an idea of how this curriculum works.

The best place to find your state's homeschool laws is your state's Department of Education website. It looks like you are in Florida. Many parents in Florida choose the portfolio method of student evaluation, so here is some information Time4Learning has prepared about maintaining a homeschool portfolio. Lastly, here is some information prepared by parents who use Time4Learning to homeschool in Florida.

We hope you'll stick around and share in other sections of the parent forum! Again, welcome!

Mom of six . . . current students and homeschool graduates. Enjoying using Time4Learning since 2006!

asnmdirteha is offline Junior Member

Hello,

I've been working with kids (both in school systems and at home) and what I've really liked for homeschooling is a site called Beestar. It works pretty well for my kids so give it a try.